Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Estimation and Planning

Pages: 1
nathan.white

Reged: 05/27/03
Loc: St Louis, MO
Resource Scheduling Tool
      #301019 - 08/19/03 06:32 AM

Does anyone know of a good tool for scheduling people and resources?

I have a team of 5 performance testers. We have 7 agent machines and 3 NT servers. We also test for 50+ applications and projects.

Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to plug my people and machines into all of the different project plans. On probably half of the projects, we are luck if we find out 2 weeks before a performance test is due.

I would like something that will allow me to schedule my people and machines against the different projects. I have tried MS Project and a home-grown tool, but neither are working very well. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Nate

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool
      #301020 - 08/19/03 10:19 AM

I would have suggested MS Project, but I see you have already rejected that approach.

If you can explain why MS Project and your home-grown tool didn't work very well for you, others may be able to suggest something more appropriate.

nathan.white

Reged: 05/27/03
Loc: St Louis, MO
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool
      #301021 - 08/19/03 01:05 PM

Joe,
Here are some of the requirements that MS Project doesnt do very well or at all:
Its not multi-user. I would prefer something that is web-based and updated dynamically.
I would like to schedule machines and people separately. I want better visibility for each and not have them in the same column. I also want to be able to see more easily see over-allocation for the machines and people.
It does not integrate with MS Outlook.
Most of my team members do not know how to use MS Project. Ive been using it since the early 1990s, but many of my team have never seen it in use.
It will not support assigning tasks while in the resource view. I would like to have the team members listed, then assign a project and an agent server to them.
It doesnt do a good job of scheduling out of office time: vacation, doctors appointments, etc.

Bottom line is that MS Project is a pretty good project management tool. However, it is not such a good scheduling tool. I am not trying to run a project; I need to schedule my people and machines for the load testing that spans over 50-60 projects.

Our homegrown tool was developed for our Help Desk to schedule the shifts for their support staff. While it does a good job of scheduling people, I cant schedule the machines with this. It will only support a relationship between two entities and I need to establish a relationship between three: people, project, machine. I have been trying to kludge this, but it is not working very well.
Any ideas would be great,
Thanks,
Nate

Namrata1234

Reged: 07/23/11
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: nathan.white]
      #679911 - 07/23/11 03:21 AM

I think Saviom resource scheduler (http://www.saviom.com/resource_scheduler.aspx) seems to fit in your requirements.

dlai

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: CA, USA
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: Namrata1234]
      #687379 - 10/03/11 11:53 AM

I like the idea of just putting the machines onto a private cloud, then use check them out that way. This allows machines to be problematically checked out, wipe and re-image the machines a lot easier.

--------------------
David Lai
Sr. QA / Test Lead
LinkedIn profile

david_hog

Reged: 11/04/11
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: Joe Strazzere]
      #690409 - 11/06/11 11:29 PM

Hey Nate,

I'm a software consultant and many of my clients face the similar problems as you are facing. After a lot of research on the internet we have decided to recommend 'eResource Scheduler(www.eresourcescheduler.com)' by Enbraun. This software has an excellent feature 'drag & drop scheduling' which allows you to schedule your resources against the different projects and when accidentally you overload a resource the software gives a warning that the resource is being overloaded. In addition, the software has many more flexible features like a booking chart, forecasting reports, time-sheets etc which would help you schedule and plan your resource efficiently to optimize your results. Feel free for a 14 day trial(www.eresourcescheudler.com).

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: david_hog]
      #690429 - 11/07/11 04:54 AM

david_hog,

Welcome!

You work for Enbraun, right?

So when you said "I'm a software consultant and many of my clients face the similar problems as you are facing. After a lot of research on the internet we have decided to recommend 'eResource Scheduler(www.eresourcescheduler.com)' by Enbraun." don't you think you were being a bit misleading? After a lot of research, you decided to recommend your own product.

It's best to be honest when you work for a vendor. We always suggest that vendors put their affiliation in their signature line, so that people don't think they are trying to be sneaky.

And you might want to revise your posting, since your URL is spelled differently in each instance (www.eresourcescheduler.com vs www.eresourcescheudler.com).

--------------------
- Joe
Visit AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

I speak only for me. I do not speak for my employer, nor for anyone else.

Nancy_Cahille

Reged: 02/29/12
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: david_hog]
      #699902 - 02/29/12 02:05 AM

Quote:

Hey Nate,

I'm a software consultant and many of my clients face the similar problems as you are facing. After a lot of research on the internet we have decided to recommend 'eResource Scheduler(www.eresourcescheduler.com)' by Enbraun. This software has an excellent feature 'drag & drop scheduling' which allows you to schedule your resources against the different projects and when accidentally you overload a resource the software gives a warning that the resource is being overloaded. In addition, the software has many more flexible features like a booking chart, forecasting reports, time-sheets etc which would help you schedule and plan your resource efficiently to optimize your results. Feel free for a 14 day trial(www.eresourcescheudler.com).

Hi David

Can eresource scheduler give me utilization reports of resources and the same can i have in a graphical format ?

david_hog

Reged: 11/04/11
Re: Resource Scheduling Tool [Re: Nancy_Cahille]
      #716845 - 09/22/12 04:06 AM

Hey Nancy,

eresource scheduler is able to generate several type of reports like Utilization report, Financial report, Forecasting report etc. Data presented in these reports is also visible in graphical view.

For more detail about this you can visit their website.
(http://www.eresourcescheduler.com/)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  swt88, AJ, corklad, blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8015

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums