Software Testing >> Unit Testing

Pages: 1
nobugs

Reged: 04/05/06
Loc: UK
smoke testing
      #293786 - 04/05/06 02:41 AM

hi,

iam new to the forum. can anyone suggest ways (manual, automated) of implementing smoke test

smoke test is carried out once the software is build and before it is handed over to test team

note: the application is developed using C++

thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dintakurthi

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Mumbai, India
Re: smoke testing
      #293787 - 04/11/06 10:19 PM

Hi

Smoke test will do, once you get the build in your hands. Just overall testing to judge the build is sane enough for major testing. For this you need to prepare smoke testcases or checklist.

nobugs

Reged: 04/05/06
Loc: UK
      #293788 - 04/12/06 12:16 AM

hai din,

thanks for ur valuable information. i have started to write test cases for smoke test. is there any way that we can automate smoke test. i came across with many tools but i couldnt find a suitable one.

so i have decided to develop my own batch files to check for correctness.

dintakurthi

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Mumbai, India
      #293789 - 04/14/06 03:06 AM

its depends on ur plotform. We are working on QT similar to C++. So we use Sqish for smoke testing.

Bug_Tracker_007

Reged: 04/14/06
Loc: Bangalore
      #293790 - 04/17/06 01:55 AM

Have you done your homework from Google, there are lot of tools, also smoke test is only to check if we can proceed for further test, so don;t waste 50% of smoke testing time in writting any script in a tool !!!!!!!!!1

regards,
BT007

LawrenceTing

Reged: 06/10/04
      #293791 - 04/26/06 07:48 PM

Design your smoke testing cases they can cover your main flows or functions, select one automate testing tool to record testing script according to your cases, then run them when every version is released or daily build is completed to assure product's quality.

DSquared

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #293792 - 04/27/06 06:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by winnie_ding:
...then run them when every version is released or daily build is completed to assure product's quality.

Be very careful with that statement.

A smoke test does not ensure product quality. It only verifies the application is ready for testing or not. It is a binary decision. If it passes, you cannot say that the product quality is where it needs to be.

SQAwire

Reged: 11/25/05
Loc: New Delhi
      #293793 - 06/01/06 08:16 AM

Smoke testing is a quick walkthrough on a developed application to check if the application is testable. This includes installation testing and then main features of the application but not testing it minutely at this smoke testing stage. Once it is assured that application is testable then only test team is given the node to do functional, GUI testing over the application. Else if application fails in Smoke testing, it is returned to Development to build a testable version for test team.

kawal_cool

Reged: 05/23/05
Loc: delhi
      #293794 - 06/01/06 11:36 PM

Hi,

what is difference between BVT and smoke testing ?? From the above Views, I am thinking that BVT and, black bo and smoke tetsing are the same thing? Is IT?

Please suggest

Regards
Kawal

kawal_cool

Reged: 05/23/05
Loc: delhi
      #293795 - 06/01/06 11:37 PM

Hi,

what is difference between BVT and smoke testing ?? From the above Views, I am thinking that BVT and, black bo and smoke tetsing are the same thing? Is IT?

Please suggest

Regards
Kawal

SQAwire

#293796 - 06/02/06 12:20 AM

Hi Kawal,

Build Verification Tests, or BVTs (often called smoke tests): A very small set of tests that check whether the app itself is worth even looking at. BVTs for Notepad would be something like "Launch, type a sentence, save, close". The content of these tests is tightly controlled and doesn't change very often.

For Black box testing, I hope you knew well about it.

Please let me know what makes you think that Black box testing is same as Smoke testing?

SQAwire

buggah

Reged: 06/06/06
Loc: San Diego, CA
      #293797 - 06/06/06 02:44 PM

SQAwire,

I guess I am confused as well then. To me they sound the same.

Unless smoke tests are more like verifying directory structure, files present, deploys/installs..etc?

For BVT, whether automated or manual, I will quickly verify very basic features such as in our case, logging in/out, basic CRUD (create, revise, update, delete) of any records loaded, etc. It's really completely based on my own interpretation of what constitutes 'basic'.

SQAwire

#293798 - 06/06/06 09:36 PM

Buggah,

I am not sure to what you poining to are same, as I said above BVT and Smoke testing are same.

SQAwire

JakeBrake

Reged: 12/19/00
Loc: St. Louis - Year 2025
      #293799 - 06/07/06 05:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kawal_cool:
Hi,

Please suggest

Regards
Kawal

Kawal,

You are compiling a growing number of "diff between" questions.

http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=000099
http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=46;t=002240#000000
http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=35;t=000441#000008
http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=005819#000000
http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008115#000000
http://www.qaforums.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008169

Those types of questions have been asked here countless times. This forum has provided search facilities for people with those types of questions. It is expected that you use those. Search for "test definitions" or "test definitions". There is also a forum for "newbies". It is expected that you take advantage of that forum and expand it to show all topics so that you can feast upon materials and references provided there:
http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=26

It is also recommended that you read one or more of the many good books about software testing located here:
http://www.qalinks.com/Books/Software_Testing/

One of the key traits of a successful test engineer is resourcefulness! [Smile]

Plus - you hijacked the topic of another person. That is an "ungood" practice. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

QA_Pugal

Reged: 02/05/05
Loc: coimbatore
      #293800 - 06/26/06 02:33 AM

build verification test(it also called Behaviour Verification Test) and smoke test is extremely different of them.
smoke testing are generally conducted during, the development material able to going test team or not for testing..
but the BVT are normally conducts at the end system test..

bibin_d

Reged: 07/11/06
Loc: trivandrum
      #293801 - 07/11/06 04:20 AM

BVT is nothing but a build verification Test and will be done , after the integration of all modules/components with the corresponding backend has been completed taken from the repository using some perl scripts(usually).Also it can be considered to be given for alpha/beta testing.Smoke testing is non-exhaustive software testing, ascertaining that the most crucial functions of a program work, but not bothering with finer details.So bvt and smoke tests are differant.

softwaretestingc

Reged: 08/26/12
Loc: India
Re: smoke testing [Re: bibin_d]
      #715292 - 08/26/12 12:46 PM

What is Smoke Testing?

Smoke testing is the initial testing process exercised to check whether the software under test is ready/stable for further testing.

The term Smoke Testing is came from the hardware testing, in the hardware testing initial pass is done to check if it did not catch the fire or smoked in the initial switch on.

Prior to start Smoke testing few test cases need to created once to use for smoke testing. These test cases are executed prior to start actual testing to check critical functionalities of the program is working fine. This set of test cases written such a way that all functionality is verified but not in deep. The objective is not to perform exhaustive testing, the tester need check the navigations & adding simple things, tester needs to ask simple questions Can tester able to access software application?, Does user navigates from one window to other?, Check that the GUI is responsive etc.

You can see complete information here:
What is Smoke Testing?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Jeanj 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8736

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums