Downloads

Quality Engineering >> Defect Tracking

Pages: 1
digits71

Reged: 01/29/01
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bug Tracking System Access
      #227504 - 07/20/01 12:40 AM

We all have some sort of bug tracking system in place. How much access to you grant to it? Do you only allow your QA team to access it or the entire company?

I've worked in companies that only submitted printed versions of reports to the developers. I've also worked where everyone in the company has access. How do you handle it?

Currently, I have implemented full access to my QA team - only I have Administration capabilities. My developers can also access to create, assign and modify a bug. Although they cannot close, verify, fail or delete. It seems to be working well!

The developers appreciate the access, we've cut down on paper waste and the turn around time is shortened since we're not 'paper-chasers' anymore

------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BugMan

Reged: 07/03/01
Loc: Cary, NC
Re: Bug Tracking System Access
      #227505 - 07/20/01 12:46 AM

Giving your developers access to the bug tracking system will work great, if they actually use it efficiently. We have a system like this implemented. Most developers don't even log in everyday, and if they do, they do not always notice new issues (new issues are not easily identified because they are not marked as such in our system). Our developers often fix issues and not marked them fixed, ignore issues marked as 'low priority', and let thier boxes pile up with issues.

Just like your system, our developers have very limited privileges. All they can do is mark issues 'fixed', 'not repeatable', 'dev reject', 'need more info', and 'verify'. They can also re-assign to others.

I guess it depends on the system itself and how it is used. I think it is still good to throw paper in thier face from time to time, or make frequent visits to thier office/cubicle to show them bugs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BugMan (edited 07-19-2001).]

AJModerator

Reged: 06/26/99
Loc: San Jose, CA
      #227506 - 07/19/01 01:15 PM

Now doesn't this topic belong in the Defect Tracking forum??

------------------
AJ Alhait
BetaSoft Inc.

digits71

Reged: 01/29/01
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      #227507 - 07/19/01 01:21 PM

Ummm nooooooo

Actually, I guess it kinda does :-\ But it's about policies regarding it - not the software....

Oh, who am I kidding...yeah, it belongs in the Defect Tracking Forum.

Sorry

------------------

Youie

Reged: 06/30/01
Loc: Portland
      #227508 - 07/19/01 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BugMan:
Most developers don't even log in everyday, and if they do, they do not always notice new issues (new issues are not easily identified because they are not marked as such in our system).

Most tracking apps have e-mail notification. They can be set up to notify anybody of just about anything. They also have "new" fields, to allow a quick glance for new items. Look into a new bug tracker.

quote:
Our developers often fix issues and not marked them fixed, ignore issues marked as 'low priority', and let their boxes pile up with issues.

Write up some documentation describing the defect lifecycle for your company, from find to close and everything in between. Make sure to also summarize in a flow chart so those in engineering have no excuses about it being to confusing. Then hold a "training class" if you must, to explain the system.

quote:
...our developers have very limited privileges. All they can do is mark issues 'fixed', 'not repeatable', 'dev reject', 'need more info', and 'verify'. They can also re-assign to others.

To answer Digits question:

Here, everybody has viewing rights, a couple of QA personnel with Admin rights, and everybody in QA and Engineering have edit rights. I don't see how Engineering could not have editing rights.

Now, about that "71", could it be the year you born?

------------------
Mike

BugMan

Reged: 07/03/01
Loc: Cary, NC
      #227509 - 07/19/01 02:03 PM

Yea, yea msnide. I know, our tracking system BLOWS. We are implementing a new one soon. Just trying to point out that the developers have to understand it and use it correctly. I was also pointing out that when major bugs are found, not only should it be logged as such, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce the issue on the developer by showing him/her in person (I know that can be unheard of these days)

------------------

SilkInTheCity

Reged: 07/23/99
Loc: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
      #227510 - 07/21/01 12:44 AM

I think "71" is the number of bugs digits reported that were "Rejected" so she reminds her developers not to reject anymore of her bugs or else....they'll see digits1001

Now we know why you can't go on a nice peaceful vacation --- you don't want to give Administrative Rights to others...
Haven't you heard people saying "what if you get run over by a truck or something, who's gonna add the new version number, the new QA member, the new Developer, etc. in the Bug database?" ?

There should be more than 1 Administrator for a Bug Tracking System (at least 1 backup). Developers should be allowed to enter new bugs, modify some fields such as Status, Assigned To:, Date Fixed, Severity, Priority, R&D or Developer's Comments, create their own Queries and Reports and modify even Bug Descriptions as long as the Bug Tracking System keeps some sort of a History that shows who last modified a particular bug. Developers should not be allowed to Close or Delete a bug from the database.

------------------

JRica
Advanced Member

Reged: 12/05/00
Loc: Basking Ridge, NJ USA
      #227511 - 07/23/01 05:01 AM

quote:
How much access to you grant to it? Do you only allow your QA team to access it or the entire company?

Our discrepancy report policy is that anyone in the company can report a potential defect. So everyone in the company should have at least initial reporting capability.

In reality we give whoever is involved in the project submit rights. We narrow that down for update rights.

Basically QA has total update rights, and developers have partial rights to specific fields deemed necessary to complete their jobs (ie repair fields).

------------------
JRica, CSTE
Software QA Engineer Lead

Joe Strazzere

Reged: 05/15/00
Loc: Massachusetts, USA
      #227512 - 07/23/01 05:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by digits71:
We all have some sort of bug tracking system in place. How much access to you grant to it? Do you only allow your QA team to access it or the entire company?

I've worked in companies that only submitted printed versions of reports to the developers. I've also worked where everyone in the company has access. How do you handle it?

Currently, I have implemented full access to my QA team - only I have Administration capabilities. My developers can also access to create, assign and modify a bug. Although they cannot close, verify, fail or delete. It seems to be working well!

The developers appreciate the access, we've cut down on paper waste and the turn around time is shortened since we're not 'paper-chasers' anymore

In most of the software companies I have worked for, everyone has Read and Add access to the bug reports. The developers ad QAers can Modify and Assign as well. Only the QA Manager can delete.

------------------
- Joe (strazzerj@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by jstrazzere (edited 07-23-2001).]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Daniel_S, swt88 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3345

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums