BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Testing Tools >> HP / Mercury LoadRunner

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Selvakr

Reged: 05/29/08
Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: JimHowell1970]
      #643271 - 09/23/10 06:13 AM

@James,

If the industry itself doesn't have a common body of knowledge and you are in the process of bringing one, the current trend will apply for all the orgs and not just to outsourcing providers. Could you please elaborate more on this? Just curious.

--------------------
The views expressed in this forum are mine. My organization does not subscribe to the substance, veracity or truthfulness of the said opinion

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James PulleyModerator

Reged: 08/01/01
Loc: NC
Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: Selvakr]
      #643275 - 09/23/10 06:39 AM

Since August of 2009 our organization has been working with vendors and individuals to establish a vendor and (as much as is possible) tool neutral site for a performance engineering common body of knowledge. The current state of the economy has not been kind to those efforts, with individuals, companies and many vendors not in a position to fund or contribute.

On Tuesday as a part of our normal and ordinary vendor meetings we met with a vendor partner who had just changed their management structure and focus as a company. Many of their management had come from the IT security industry and they observed the same challenges in the performance engineering space as had been in the IT security industry which lead to the formation of the ISSC CISSP credential, with the first step in that process establishing a common body of knowledge as well as common methods, process and procedures. Steps after that are well known, such as publishing the CBOK in book and electronic forms, building a composite credential made up of other established credentials, then moving to a standardsized development, continuing education and credentialling set. Both this vendor and our organization were moving in the same direction and happened to meet over a comment in our discussions on Tuesday.

Consider this to following along the path of organizations like the AICPA (for CPA accreditation), the CISSP (for IT Security professionals) or the PMI/PMP (for project managers). It will take several years but the bar is now being built to raise the industry with. Once established organizations will no longer simply be able to throw a tool over the wall without training and professional development of the person and claim some level of expertise...just like a self trained bookkeeper cannot represent themselves as possessing CPA level skills. This should (over time) eliminate the bad actors and raise the level of visibility for this highly skilled, economically differentiated discipline in the eyes of our clients.

Yes, there is an economic self-interest here in seeing the visibility and respect for the entire profession raised. That economic self-interest is two fold, both in reducing the financial exposure of end clients related to application scalability as well as a recognition of the value the standardized and qualified industry professional brings to the table in terms of increased compensation for effective providers (versus the amateurs who have few usable skills but have a label which states 'Purformunz Enjinear' today and the customer cannot tell the difference between the two.)

Overall, I am excited. Moreso than I have been in a while considering the challenging state of the majority of resources in the performance testing/performance engineering space and the lack of an economic incentive on the part of the majority of the providers to provide a person with effective skills to their clients.

Chid

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: USA
Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: James Pulley]
      #643278 - 09/23/10 07:29 AM

A CBoK on the lines of PMP would be nice. But then there is this skeptical part of me that says soon we will have crash courses designed from an examination point of view. There are real PMPs, and others who went through training just like this one in NC

James PulleyModerator

Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: Chid]
      #643288 - 09/23/10 08:23 AM

I much prefer the CISSP model which mandates a period of intership before you are eligible for the exam followed by Continuing education to maintain your credential. This is what I will press for when it is time for a full credential discussion.

gbondy

Reged: 11/06/07
      #643328 - 09/23/10 01:46 PM

Regarding downloading LR 11, you need BOTH the .zip and the .z01 file. Make sure they're in the same directory, then use WinZip to extract the .zip. Apparently the archive is multi-part, with the .z01 the second part.

I couldn't get 7-zip, PowerArchiver or Windows zip folders to work, had to download a demo copy of WinZip.

Chid

Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: gbondy]
      #643338 - 09/23/10 08:11 PM

thanks gbondy. I sort of guessed that .z01 was needed (With no idea on how to . but when I tried to download the site was erroring out. I will try again.

--------------------
Chid | My LR Profile | LoadRunner Reading

JoeW

Reged: 06/27/01
      #643434 - 09/24/10 08:54 AM

@Chid - I've just done the same as you- downloaded it 3 times before sussing out it was multi-part. Jeez. I guess it's obvious when you look, but I've done a lot of downloading, of large files, and have never seen a multi-part zip like that.
They definitely need to add something in the FAQ

Next thing I'm curious about is why it's so damn large anyway.

Chid

Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: JoeW]
      #643691 - 09/28/10 05:50 AM Attachment (902 downloads)

HP has changed its path for ASE Certification for LoadRunner...

Earlier it was two exams (proctored).. Now they have cut it down to just one and if i read it correctly, its a prometric delivered exam.. (Dilution of standards?)

------------------------------------------------------

ASE - HP Load Testing Using Loadrunner v9
* = required
Requirements for this certification: 1 Core exam
Acquire In (days after registration): 0 days
This Certification can be acquired by completing modules from any one of the 1 available paths. To see the modules within each path, select a path below.
Path

Core requirement*
Complete 1 of 1 available courses and certifications.

Exam HP0-M94 Advanced Loadrunner 9.5 Software
ID: HP0-M94
Offered As: Exam/Test (On Demand),Web Based (Self-Paced)

Title Exam HP0-M94 Advanced Loadrunner 9.5 Software
Version
Description This exam is delivered through a Prometric test center.

---------------
ADDED Later:
Found the document - it is a proctored exam and not a prometric test. But the information on one paper being enough to get your ASE is correct..

Document attached to the post.

Edited by Chid (09/28/10 07:52 AM)

JimHowell1970Moderator

Reged: 02/18/10
Loc: Europe
      #643863 - 09/29/10 08:20 AM

I saw that a while back... good news, but remember that as they just released LR11 - it'll be out of date in 6 months... I'm waiting for the ASE LR11 exams

Chid

#643868 - 09/29/10 09:15 AM

Jim,

They released it only in July, So I guess it will be there for another year and a half atleast before the Ver 11 comes up.

http://merc-training.cce.hp.com/main/get_file.cfm?code=7744&file=VIVIT_Certification

I agree definitely good news as it cuts down our cost (one instead of two). But I still wish I didnt have to travel all the way from PHL to NY to give the test.

--------------------

staytuned

Reged: 08/11/10
      #644309 - 10/04/10 05:02 AM

You can refer the following HP article for the steps how to download and install loadrunner 11.0

Title: How to download and Extract LoadRunner version 11 (LR 11)
Document ID: KM1001146

steps
Download the file "Software_HP_LoadRunner_11.00_T7177_15013.zip"
while you are downloading Software_HP_LoadRunner_11.00_T7177_15013.z01, save the file by putting double quotes around the file e.g. "Software_HP_LoadRunner_11.00_T7177_15013.z01"
Extract the file Software_HP_LoadRunner_11.00_T7177_15013.zip to ur folder

For more details, you can refer the HP Knowledge article

--------------------
Staytuned
http://staytuned4loadtesting.blogspot.com
Your question is not completed until you share how you resolve the issue.

********************************************************************************
The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of my company
********************************************************************************

Chid

Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: staytuned]
      #644365 - 10/04/10 11:44 AM

Bharath and others, thanks for all the tips. I did manage to download the z01 file earlier and use WinRar to do the installation. It automatically prompts for the second file

On another note from LinkedIn

Quote:

"QTP / LoadRunner Tester needed ASAP in Raleigh, NC / Full-Time + Benefits ($50 - 60k) / U.S. Citizen
For immediate consideration call or email xxxx"

Are rates really this low in NC?

soniaroy

Reged: 10/04/10
      #644369 - 10/04/10 11:50 AM

Do you know of a good Peformance testing book that I can buy?
Thanks in advance.

James PulleyModerator

#644370 - 10/04/10 11:51 AM

I did comment on that posting. One comment I put in and then pulled out was that the person is way under market. I am hoping that someone else will call out the recruiter on this. Until we call out these types of events the recruiters and HR professionals will not change. Last month I began a campaign to call out recruiters who post absolutely useless posts looking for performance resources in an effort to force receruiters to ask better questions of their clients and post more robust requirements for skills.

The person that the recruiter wants is the one who is working today (as a measurement of effective skills). Instead they will get someone with both tools on their resume who knows marginally more than the interviewer.....or they are setting the stage for an H or L sponsorship by complaining "I can't find an US citizen to do this work." We have that happen a lot in RTP (Research Triangle Park, located between Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill).

Chid

#644390 - 10/04/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

or they are setting the stage for an H or L sponsorship by complaining "I can't find an US citizen to do this work."

Its too low for even for a H/L visa holder good in LR. 50-60 is an H Salary for someone in a general QA field with two to three years of exp but certainly the recruiter has a long wait if he expects a LR guy and a US Citizen at that ...that had me really wondering.

--------------------

soniaroy

Reged: 10/04/10
      #644504 - 10/05/10 09:44 AM

I am a junior LR tester and hence would like to request someone to recommend any books of LR that might help me. I do not wish to ask my questions in the forum because they might be too basic.
Thanks
Sonia

Chid

Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: soniaroy]
      #644517 - 10/05/10 01:02 PM

Sonia,

I am not really sure - While there may be books on performance testing out there - they tend to be overkill for a beginner - more likely to put one off the field for ever. I went the more practical route - learning the tool, working on a couple of projects as a junior resource, picking up the skills along the way.

My suggestion is to go through the LR tutorial, learn VuGen. become a good scripter first. Work as a junior tester in a couple of projects (where a senior is undertaking the project and you are providing perhaps scripting etc under guidance) and everything will fall into place down the lane.

But before all that - make sure you understand basic web web applications. preferably if you had the experience of designing, hosting your own websites, it will hold you in good stead. Good grasp on HTML is absolutely essential.

Perez

Reged: 04/15/08
      #644730 - 10/06/10 09:14 PM

This book is tool agnostic, but for Performance Testing concepts / methodology I can recommend "The Art of Application Performance Testing" by Ian Molyneaux (Published by O'Reilly).

This is pretty much the only book I've found that makes complete sense and pretty much summarises the approach to performance testing that I have learned.

--------------------
Barry Perez
Melbourne, Australia

My LinkedIn

Colombian_TE

Reged: 01/07/09
Re: LoadRunner Chit Chat Thread [Re: Perez]
      #646610 - 10/25/10 10:00 AM

Any feedback from those who are using LoadRunner 11.

Not sure there is anything that would require I change my 9.5.

Chid

New Functions in LR 11 [Re: Colombian_TE]
      #646836 - 10/26/10 06:10 PM

Came across a few new functions in LR 11 that require further study

web_convert_from_formatted - Converts a string created with one or more data format extensions back to the source format.

web_convert_to_formatted - Formats data using one or more data format extensions.

web_reg_save_param_xpath - Finds data in an HTML buffer that has been formatted as XML and saves the data to a parameter.

lr_free_parameter - Deletes a dynamic parameter at run-time, freeing its buffer. I dont remember reading this earlier

-Thats it for now. I understand how the last two work - the first two I have no idea and will probably dig in over the coming days...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, James Pulley, ptrussell_nc, JimHowell1970 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 64205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums