Home
BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> QAChat.net (Chitchat)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
cmeisenzahl

Reged: 07/22/02
The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ...
      #718338 - 10/18/12 11:11 AM

Discuss amongst yourselves. ;-)

The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time - Popular Mechanics
Cinema exists to project our dreams. Science-fiction cinema exists to project our most creative dreamstime-travel, alternate worlds, expanded consciousness, and more. That's why we're science-fiction maniacs and why we gathered up our top 100 movies. And if your favorite isn't on here, we want to hear about it.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technolo...ies-of-all-time

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rtehve

Reged: 08/21/00
Loc: Elanora Heights, NSW, Australi...
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: cmeisenzahl]
      #718341 - 10/18/12 01:44 PM

For me it comes down to expectations of what a Sci-Fi movie is meant to be, most seem to be more cheezy b grade stuff which seem to gather a cult following. Starship Troopers is very typical of what I expect from Sci-Fi film.

A lot of stuff I have not seen and unfortunately a lot of stuff I have seen.

For me the biggest impacting one was terminator but Alien was very close. As for for my personal favourites it has to be Blade Runner.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Rich W.Moderator
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: rtehve]
      #718380 - 10/19/12 04:51 AM

I question the definition of Sci-Fi, short for Science Fiction. Since it contains the reference to "Science", shouldn't the genre of these movies involve Science or Technology in some form or other? Why not call the ones not related to Science, Future Fiction or Fu-Fi? While were at it, what about Tobor the Great, Flash Gordan, and The Man With Two Brains?

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: Rich W.]
      #718382 - 10/19/12 04:56 AM

Everyone makes these lists every few years and adjusts many of the movies to some recents ones and ones many agree are "classics" then throw in a few to get a discussion going. While "Top Lists" were cool when I was out drinking in my 20's they kind of bore me now.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

jimhazen

Reged: 01/31/02
Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: michaeljf]
      #718463 - 10/21/12 09:54 AM

I see already one of my favorites is on the list; They Live with Roddy Piper.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick a$$... and I'm all out of bubble gum!" Great line.

--------------------
Jim
-------------------------------------------
For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

AdministratorAdministrator
Architect

Reged: 01/20/06
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: jimhazen]
      #718475 - 10/21/12 10:23 PM

I hate the fact that you need to click more than 100 times to see #1

--------------------
Software Testing and QA Consulting Services
Software Quality Assurance Services
Software Testing and QA Online Training Courses
"The Source is strong with you young spycoder, but you are not an API yet"

rtehve

Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: Administrator]
      #718483 - 10/22/12 12:03 AM

Administrator

Actually its more disappointing to find out what they think is number 1.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
      #718501 - 10/22/12 05:02 AM

Quote:

I see already one of my favorites is on the list; They Live with Roddy Piper.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick a$$... and I'm all out of bubble gum!" Great line.

Yeah that was an amusing movie...at least he could act, although considering wrestling at the time it was not a far stretch.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

jimhazen

Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: michaeljf]
      #718520 - 10/22/12 08:48 AM

Yep, all that time in the ring prepped him for that part. Another classic from John Carpenter.

--------------------
Jim
For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

jimhazen

#718521 - 10/22/12 08:53 AM

Well... think about it from the standpoint of a pure science fiction story and number 1 (2001: A Space Odessey) makes logical sense.

Now some of the other choices I'm scratching my head on; mainly the horror & gore movies. But that is splitting hairs to a degree.

For me it is a toss up between Blade Runner and 2001 for the top spot, with the original Alien close behind. But that is me.

--------------------
Jim

rtehve

#718547 - 10/22/12 12:41 PM

jimhazen

If they had a category of Sci-Fi tripe then sure 2001 is a hands down winner.

I even tried watching it drunk and I still thought it is tripe.

I have a similar view about planet of the apes.

But I will agree it comes down to ones expectation of sci-fi ..... it seems most look like b-grade rubbish.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

jimhazen

#718559 - 10/22/12 08:48 PM

Wow! Robert tell me how you really feel about Science Fiction. And the trick to watching 2001 is not being drunk, it is being stoned. Then the psychodelic trip scene close to the end is even more trippy.

Also, think of it this way... if we didn't have Science Fiction (written and in movies) we probably wouldn't be having this conversation right now, and also not have jobs working in high tech. Sci Fi as a medium has inspired many new innovations. Arthur C. Clark was one of the principal engineers who designed communications satellites. His bio here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke says alot about his work.

The designer of the original cell phone attributes his inspiration to the Communicator's on Star Trek.

So I wouldn't say most Sci Fi is tripe, even if it is a low-budget movie.

--------------------
Jim

rtehve

#718565 - 10/23/12 12:29 AM

jimhazen

I have smoked pot but I usually throw up after it, yet to try a recreational drug.

I generally like sci-fi, but some of these iconic films are tripe ..... sorry I just have to say it.

I didn't say most are tripe, I said most look like b-grade rubbish..... doesn't mean I don't like them or I won't watch them, I look at them like ready a cheap crappy novel.

Do you seriously think the quality of acting on "The Planet of the Apes" was high ? The movie was OK, interesting concept done poorly.

FYI there is hi-price tripe like Avatar, as for stuff I like ..... often budget has nothing to do with it.

I actually like the original star trek with its bad acting and low budget sets.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Edited by rtehve (10/23/12 12:31 AM)

Shane_MacLaughlin

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #718598 - 10/23/12 06:20 AM

Quote:

For me it is a toss up between Blade Runner and 2001 for the top spot, with the original Alien close behind. But that is me.

Pretty much the same here, although Alien would probably get the number 1 spot. There's a lot of sci-fi I enjoy immensely first time out on the big big screen e.g. the Matrix and Avatar, but probably wouldn't watch a second time. I also like the quirky ones like Repoman, Accione Mutante and Brazil, and even the Futurama movies, which goes to show how subjective the thing is, and the pointlessness of trying to rank these movies. Loved many of the episodes of series 6 of Doctor Who, which I've watched and re-watched with the kids.

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

jimhazen

Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: Shane_MacLaughlin]
      #718606 - 10/23/12 07:46 AM

Well admittedly you don't watch a Sci Fi movie for its acting. This isn't Shakespear ya know. The beauty of Sci Fi is in the story telling and wonderment of science. Especially how science can be constructive, or more likely destructive.

That's why Frankenstein is on the list. A story of science gone wrong but founded on good intentions. The original Terminator movie follows the circular event of time paradox (John Connor could not be born without Kyle Reese, so Connor sends his father back in time so he can be born). Other movies follow that pardigm too; where going back into the past has an effect on the present/future. Even Star Trek IV followed that; they had to go back in time to get Humpback whales to save the Earth in the future.

These along with other themes are what makes Sci Fi movies fun to watch, even if the acting isn't all that great (Planet of the Apes).

--------------------
Jim

NoUse4aName

Reged: 06/13/08
      #718613 - 10/23/12 09:26 AM

Idiocracy should be up higher on the list for the most realistic portrayal of the future.

Quote:

I hate the fact that you need to click more than 100 times to see #1

Hit the print view.

Rich W.Moderator
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: NoUse4aName]
      #718617 - 10/23/12 10:01 AM

I noticed that "Battle Beyond the Stars" was not on the list. Poor John-boy

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

rtehve

Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: Rich W.]
      #718646 - 10/23/12 04:35 PM

Shane_MacLaughlin

".. enjoy immensely first time out on the big big screen e.g. the Matrix and Avatar, but probably wouldn't watch a second time."

To me this is a true test of a movie, Avatar had amazing special effects, but as a movie its tripe. Would not pay any more to see it and the special effects would be lost on the smaller screen at home.

Blade Runner I have watched many times over.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Shane_MacLaughlin

#718651 - 10/24/12 01:07 AM

Robert Tehve,

If I really enjoy a movie first time out on the big screen, that's job well done in my book. Some films don't translate to the small screen, Avatar being one, but that doesn't detract from how entertaining they are when watched on the media for which they were produced.

Tripe can be fun too, and the thought of having to re-watch many 'critically acclaimed' or 'classic' films would send me into the depths of depression. That includes the majority on the list, many of which also failed the test of providing me with much enjoyment on the first watch. Again, totally subjective, for me ET and CE3K were utter tripe, and stuff like Galaxy quest and Idiocracy were worse still.

We're also missing a definition of what even constitutes science fiction. If you can include Frankenstein, Sleeper and Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, then why not Little shop of horrors (alien plant), the Rocky horror picture show (alien vampire types), K-PAX, the Dark Knight, or Monsters Inc (all of which I'd rate way above Galaxy Quest or Idiocracy)?

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

rtehve

#718654 - 10/24/12 02:44 AM

Shane_MacLaughlin

Looking at the words .... science fiction this suggests a science based theme that is fiction.

So a good sci-fi must have a reasonable to high nerdy science content and good fiction.

WR the science content many mainstream stuff gloss over the details, this annoys me.

With the fiction side obviously there needs to be a non-true entertaining story

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Shane_MacLaughlin

#718658 - 10/24/12 04:39 AM

Quote:

So a good sci-fi must have a reasonable to high nerdy science content and good fiction.

WR the science content many mainstream stuff gloss over the details, this annoys me.

Hmmm, anything that is set in the future, contains space ships, and/or alien life forms typically seem to be branded science fiction, yet many such movies would fail your criterion. Of course if the alien life forms are orcs, or the light sabres become magical swords (and ideally there's a few scantily clad women wandering around) the sci-fi becomes fantasy. If the orcs have guns, we then have science fantasy. Truth be told, I suspect most of what people refer to as sci-fi is actually fantasy fiction, insofar as it is fiction based on some random fantastic notions that bear no resemblance to any actual science.

If you were to go through the list of sci-fi movies given, and look for a substantial reference to hard science in each one, I suspect you'd draw a lot of blanks for many of the movies. K-PAX would certainly trump Star Wars.

My take on 'proper sci-fi' as a genre is that it starts with an unsupportable 'what if' type statement that we take on faith, and then build on it in a work of fiction. For me, good science fiction works in a consistent manner with the original premise and limits itself on that basis. Thus Star Wars and the Avatar are at the science fantasy end of the continuum, whereas K-PAX would be at the science fiction end.

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

rtehve

#718694 - 10/24/12 01:28 PM

Shane_MacLaughlin

Qualifying just as sci-fi looks pretty straight forward as you pointed out.

We are talking about a list of the top 100, I assume there are many thousands or more that qualify as sci fi...... I also imagine there are vastly far more bad stuff than good, like any genre.

I don't require a thesis type narrative but I often find the basic context and simple common tests fail with the fictional adaptation of science. A simple example .... Back to The future ..... "Flux Capacitor " ..... garbage. Get a better science advisor.

My favourite piece of tripe was Jurassic Park where the young genius girl has been pounding the keyboard for about 5 minutes and comes up with the following comment:

"I know this ..... this is Unix"

Some genius....... took her 5 minutes to figure out what operating system she was using.

Tripe !
Yes the special effects were great, everything else about that movie was garbage.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Edited by rtehve (10/24/12 01:31 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Rich W., blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10096

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums