Home
BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> QAChat.net (Chitchat)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Shane_MacLaughlin

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: rtehve]
      #718658 - 10/24/12 04:39 AM

Quote:

So a good sci-fi must have a reasonable to high nerdy science content and good fiction.

WR the science content many mainstream stuff gloss over the details, this annoys me.

Hmmm, anything that is set in the future, contains space ships, and/or alien life forms typically seem to be branded science fiction, yet many such movies would fail your criterion. Of course if the alien life forms are orcs, or the light sabres become magical swords (and ideally there's a few scantily clad women wandering around) the sci-fi becomes fantasy. If the orcs have guns, we then have science fantasy. Truth be told, I suspect most of what people refer to as sci-fi is actually fantasy fiction, insofar as it is fiction based on some random fantastic notions that bear no resemblance to any actual science.

If you were to go through the list of sci-fi movies given, and look for a substantial reference to hard science in each one, I suspect you'd draw a lot of blanks for many of the movies. K-PAX would certainly trump Star Wars.

My take on 'proper sci-fi' as a genre is that it starts with an unsupportable 'what if' type statement that we take on faith, and then build on it in a work of fiction. For me, good science fiction works in a consistent manner with the original premise and limits itself on that basis. Thus Star Wars and the Avatar are at the science fantasy end of the continuum, whereas K-PAX would be at the science fiction end.

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rtehve

Reged: 08/21/00
Loc: Elanora Heights, NSW, Australi...
Re: The 100 Best Sci-Fi Movies of All Time? ... [Re: Shane_MacLaughlin]
      #718694 - 10/24/12 01:28 PM

Shane_MacLaughlin

Qualifying just as sci-fi looks pretty straight forward as you pointed out.

We are talking about a list of the top 100, I assume there are many thousands or more that qualify as sci fi...... I also imagine there are vastly far more bad stuff than good, like any genre.

I don't require a thesis type narrative but I often find the basic context and simple common tests fail with the fictional adaptation of science. A simple example .... Back to The future ..... "Flux Capacitor " ..... garbage. Get a better science advisor.

My favourite piece of tripe was Jurassic Park where the young genius girl has been pounding the keyboard for about 5 minutes and comes up with the following comment:

"I know this ..... this is Unix"

Some genius....... took her 5 minutes to figure out what operating system she was using.

Tripe !
Yes the special effects were great, everything else about that movie was garbage.

--------------------
Robert Tehve
rtehve@bigpond.com

Edited by rtehve (10/24/12 01:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Rich W., blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10098

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums