Home
BetaSoft
Blogs
Jobs
Training
News
Links
Downloads

Miscellaneous Forums >> QAChat.net (Chitchat)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Rich W.Moderator
Veteran

Reged: 03/05/04
Loc: West Coast of the East Coast!
Re: Beer [Re: SoCalGal]
      #654859 - 01/05/11 10:08 AM

My Lodge has just started stocking Genesee Cream Ale. I think I'm in love. No more Bud for me.

--------------------
Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MArk B.
Advanced Member

Reged: 10/04/02
Loc: Federal Way, WA
      #654868 - 01/05/11 10:49 AM

As I've mentioned on another thread, I've lost 25+ pounds and did a sprint length (mini) triathlon this past year. All with the help of a coworker and friend. In thanks for his extensive assistance I purchased him a basic home brew kit. This morning he placed my Christmas gift on my desk. It's a bottomless bottle of his homemade beer. Whenever I finish it, I exchange it for a refill.

I think he's trying to sabotage my weight loss. (It's worth the extra work)

The first batch, which we did together, was wonderful. A pale ale with a beautiful blond color and a full yet not heavy flavor. No sharpness to speak of with a mild and short aftertaste. It went down REAL easy. (And fast)

MArk B.

--------------------
If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

yagsy

Reged: 11/26/01
Loc: Greater Boston Area finally
Re: Beer [Re: Rich W.]
      #654882 - 01/05/11 01:20 PM

Quote:

My Lodge has just started stocking Genesee Cream Ale. I think I'm in love. No more Bud for me.

Ah, the fruit of the Gods from New York according to my dad. My dad always drank top pick. We lived in central NY, not far from Genesee County so the beer was widely available.

I have a friend here in San Diego too who also grew up not far from Genesee, and she said the same thing about the Cream Ale. I've never tried it but I miss New York.

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
http://on.fb.me/PPM100
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (01/05/11 01:22 PM)

SteveO44

Reged: 07/08/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Beer [Re: yagsy]
      #668737 - 04/19/11 01:27 PM

So far 2 months aging the imperial stout in the Jack Daniels whiskey barrel. There are rumors that we'll be pulling samples soon to taste.

Since then I've brewed a wheat beer and a brown ale.

I bought an old freezer so I could temp control fermentation and also lager. I'm kind of late for Oktoberfests but I think I'll brew one in the next week or so anyhow. I try to have 3 or 4 beers on tap at any given time. My "boss" is now leery of any box on the front porch. "What'd you buy now???"

Cheers!

--------------------
1. LR/PC 11
2. HTTP
3. No
4. Concurrent
5. n/a
6. New
7. 40k Web, 2k SOA, 1k DB
8. Yes
9. Server 2003

jpolvino

Reged: 12/11/02
Loc: Rochester, NY
      #668856 - 04/20/11 05:35 AM

For those who have no idea what homebrewing is all about, I offer a video I made. Just go to youtube dot com/joepolvino and click on All Grain Brewing from Grain to Glass. There is also a helpful video on making a yeast starter.

--------------------
The worst form of failure is the failure to try.

yagsy

Re: Beer [Re: SteveO44]
      #668893 - 04/20/11 08:57 AM

Quote:

I've brewed a wheat beer and a brown ale.

Ahhhhhh, now that's the stuff!

Lately been drinking Shock Top. Normally, I'm a Guinness girl but I love citrus in or on just about anything!

--------------------
Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Walen

Reged: 05/09/01
      #669046 - 04/21/11 12:42 PM

Quote:

Normally, I'm a Guinness girl...

I knew I liked you! Next time CAST is in Grand Rapids (or you happen to be here over a weekend) there is a bar downtown that runs a Sunday special - $2 pints - all draft beers - local stuff and Guinness. Both are drinkable - miss the Smithwicks tho...

--------------------
P. Walen

My Blog: http://rhythmoftesting.blogspot.com/

SteveO44

Reged: 07/08/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Beer [Re: Walen]
      #669049 - 04/21/11 01:45 PM

If your bar has it, try a half/half with Guinness and raspberry lambic.

Yummy!

--------------------
1. LR/PC 11
2. HTTP
3. No
4. Concurrent
5. n/a
6. New
7. 40k Web, 2k SOA, 1k DB
8. Yes
9. Server 2003

michaeljf
Veteran

Reged: 09/17/01
Loc: Yankee Land
      #669076 - 04/22/11 05:55 AM

That sounds like a tasty Guiness halfer....I'll have to try something like that if I get a chance to go out again.

--------------------
- M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Shane_MacLaughlin

Reged: 09/22/05
Loc: Dublin, Ireland
      #669082 - 04/22/11 07:17 AM

Don't know what raspberry lambic is exactly, but interference with a good pint of Guinness is considered a heinous crime here in Ireland, quite probably in breach of local statutes in the more westerly counties. A half and half mix with Champagne is acceptable, but anything less than that is just messing and to be avoided

Off for a weeks holiday in Doolin tomorrow, and plan to imbibe quite a few of the aforementioned pints. Might even be brave and ask for a raspberry lambic, but wouldn't expect much more than blank looks in return. If it's sunny, a pint of Smithwicks is also a very nice thing, and a bottle of Bass doesn't hurt either...

--------------------
My LinkedIn profile

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

Reged: 03/18/02
Loc: Tampa Bay
Re: Beer [Re: Shane_MacLaughlin]
      #669092 - 04/22/11 09:33 AM

Man, I wish the Guinness in the USA (comes in a bottle - purports to be "draft" tasted like that creamy, heady substance I tasted on my first visit to the Emerald Isle.

I was in a pub in Cork (not a tourist pub, just the locals, watching the hurling finals - which we didn't understand at all). I was getting over a nasty bout of seasickness from the overnight boat crossing from Fishguard to Rosslare, but that pint set me up for the rest of the day.

I had been a Guinness-drinker in my college days (a good 6 months earlier <grin>) and my lunch was often a pint of draught Guinness and a pork pie. But I never knew what Guinness was supposed to taste like until I tasted that pint in Cork.

I've seen draft (draught) Guinness all over the place in the USA, but the American propensity to chill everything drinkable and fizzy until it almost has icebergs on the top renders it a thin and tasteless brew. Want to write your name in the creamy head? I don't THINK so!

michaeljf
Veteran

Re: Beer [Re: Peter Ruscoe]
      #669100 - 04/22/11 11:34 AM

Peter you need to get to a different area, up in the Northeast I can get a nice draught of Guinness. Come to Boston where Irish Pubs abound, and with the brogues you know the Guinness better be poured right!!

--------------------
- M

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
- Unknown

yagsy

Re: Beer [Re: michaeljf]
      #669114 - 04/22/11 04:47 PM

Okay guys, now you got me wanting Guinness. I actually am drinking ShockTop tonight while watching the Padres game. I like the lighter beer but Guinness and Bass will always be my favorite for mixing. If I come across the raspberry lambic, I will give it a shot though. I love raspberry.

And I concur with Michael that the bars in Boston do serve a good Guinness, not perfect but definitely enjoyable. Southy in particular has some true Irish pubs.

--------------------

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

#669119 - 04/22/11 08:37 PM

Quote:

Come to Boston where Irish Pubs abound, and with the brogues you know the Guinness better be poured right!!

Yeah, but the driving scares the living daylights out of me <grin>.

The question is, do they serve the Guinness chilled (a la Budweiser)? Or is it at "cellar temperature?" (What Americans generally think means "warm.")

yagsy

#669240 - 04/25/11 08:21 AM

[Yeah, but the driving scares the living daylights out of me <grin>.

Peter, from someone who's driving up and down the east coast in all major rush hours, somewhat in the midwest, and SoCal, I can state emphatically that SoCal has the worst set of drivers I've encountered. This is true for several reasons:
1) not the driver's fault but the highway design system here is beyond ridiculous and actually encourages the stupidest and scariest drivers.
2)Drivers here do NOT pay attention for the most part beyond their own nose. To them, if it's not at the end of their nose, they have a clear path. They just don't SEE anything because, well, "noone else does".
3) Rules of the road? They actually exist? SoCalers, I swear think driving rules only exist in the movies.
4) Common Courtesy - everywhere else I have driven, yes, there are jerks on the road but people for the most part extend common courtesy. Here, there is nothing "common" about courtesy as it doesn't exist. Beyond expecting someone to let you in their lane as you're trying to get off the freeway, if you use a signal to indicate where you're going, the person behind will speed up to not allow you to get into that lane. It's almost as if people get their jollies out of messing with people while driving. And noone seems to be immune to this.
5) Merging - Like in #4, merging seems to be a game of "no, I won't let you in" and causes major traffic problems all because someone thinks if they let one car ahead of them, they are going to "lose". Lose what I don't know, but it's just dumb!
6) Rain - and finally if it rains here in SoCal, especially after a dry spell, LOOK OUT! The freeways here are worse than in the mountains with glare ice on the roads. The roads here are not treated, so water puddles on the roads, oil from the vehicles sits on the roads and makes the roads super slick when it rains. Of course drivers here are not used to driving on slick roads, so they drive stupidly.

If anyone thinks that northeasterners are rude while driving, at least they do not pull out guns and shoot when there's a problem. They yell, honk their horn and get it out of their system. Here, you're not supposed to use your horn even to warn someone which I find very weird. Being unaware or the absolute refusal to be aware of others here is so much more rude, it's beyond belief.

So Peter, don't be afraid of the Boston drivers. They're nothing compared to SoCal. And I have a wide variety of experiences to compare. NYC rush hour is a piece of cake. DC rush hour can be annoying and dumb but nothing compared with L.A. And San Diego doesn't have the volume but the stupidity, ignorance and intolerance is unbelievably high.

And just thinking about it, I could use a few Guinnesses.

--------------------

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (04/25/11 08:22 AM)

Larry Geisz
Advanced Member

Reged: 05/11/01
Loc: Sun City AZ (waiting for retir...
      #669244 - 04/25/11 08:33 AM

Ok I can see the SoCal issue but man have you ever driven in the Tampa area... I am by no means a Sunday driver but dayam those driver scare the bajesuses outta me... Traffic may not be bad but man don't get caught doing the speed limit...

--------------------
But in the end doesn't it all come down to BEER? Beer is the ultimate answer to all questions in the universe so yes the answer to your question is BEER.
lgeisz

michaeljf
Veteran

Re: Beer [Re: Larry Geisz]
      #669255 - 04/25/11 09:51 AM

Quote:

Southy in particular has some true Irish pubs.

The reason being, for some odd reason, the Irish have settled there since the mid-1800's or so. Other areas as well, but Southie maintains its distinctive Irishness...it's the area of the city where they still have the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Some places you can get a cold Guinness, but that tens to be places that have little idea what they are doing, go into any of the many brew-pubs around and you can get it just like it's served "over there".

--------------------
- M

- Unknown

jpolvino

Reged: 12/11/02
Loc: Rochester, NY
      #669399 - 04/26/11 10:15 AM

I remember my first Guinness: it was at college, and we went to a high-end bar in town. Having looked at Guinness many times, I had a mental "image" of what the taste would be like, and that taste was something along the lines of a porter.

A friend asked if I wanted a Guinness and, wanting to broaden my taste and cultural experience, I said yes. I took a taste and thought someone was pulling a gag on me: it was almost flat, bitter, and tasted like someone extinguished a cheap cigar in it. I seriously looked at my friend, watching for him to point at me and laugh out loud at me for drinking such a vile drink while he held the soggy cigar, but it didn't happen. I even remember asking, "Is it supposed to taste this way?" I wish I was joking, but this is 100% true.

Since then, I have had the chance to sample and brew a wide variety of beer, and Guinness is one beer that is in my top 5 now.

--------------------
The worst form of failure is the failure to try.

yagsy

Re: Beer [Re: jpolvino]
      #669428 - 04/26/11 01:30 PM

Guinness is one beer that I took to right away. By the time I was ready to try a Guinness, I had a good inkling of the taste and I knew it wouldn't be carbonated. ONe of the best things about Guinness is that it contains a very tiny amount of sugar which means those of us watching our carbs, Guinness is the beer of choice. Why not have a fantastic tasting beer too? Guinness is more than a beer, it's a meal! Note: less sugar means less alocohol content. I believe Guinness is only 4%. But in my mind, Guinness is the "fruit of the gods."

--------------------

...Jean Ann
www.projectrealms.com/

Edited by yagsy (04/26/11 01:30 PM)

Peter Ruscoe
Veteran

#669441 - 04/26/11 02:07 PM

You're sort-of right about sugar, carbs and alcohol, Jean Ann. But the residual sugar in an alcoholic drink has nothing to do with the alcoholic strength. At fermenting time (up to a point) more sugar means more alcohol, because the process consumes sugar to produce alcohol. But whatever is left after fermentation gives no indication of how it started off. Alcopop: lot of sugar, little alcohol (relatively.) Chianti: not much sugar, plenty of alcohol.

With that said - yes - Guinness (as sold here in a bottle and called - with bizarre inaccuracy - "draught") is on the low end of the alcohol scale - about 4%. As for the carbs, not many beers publish that, so it's hard to compare.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  AJ, Rich W., blueinatl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 28650

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement SQAForums