Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tool for comparing HTML files

The content generation portion of our application generates many .HTML files into a folder. They later end up as part of a web site.

This generation function is being modified. The modification will likely change some of the underlying HTML, but should not change the visual appearance of the page, when viewed within a browser.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool which could compare two folders filled with HTML files, and allow the user to display any differences.

I can find tools which will compare files textually, but I only want to note a difference that could been seen in a browser, and ignore anything else.

The closest we have come to such a tool so far appears to be HTML Match (http://www.htmlmatch.com/). But that appears to compare only one pair of files at a time, and we have too many files to compare them all this way.

I tried a few searches here, with what seemed to be likely keywords, and didn't find anything.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Tool for comparing HTML files

http://www.guiffy.com/Folder-Compare.html

It looks like it might work Joe. I have no experience with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm, I'll have to check it out.

I already use WinMerge (http://winmerge.org/) and it doesn't look as if Folder Compare is any different.

The problem with WinMerge is that it cannot be made to ignore the non-browser-visible differences in the HTML files.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can also try WinDiff at:

http://www.grigsoft.com/download-windiff.htm

This has a directory compare option. I've never used it, but I do use the file comparison quite often.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm perhaps not being clear enough.

I have used tools which can compare directories of files at one time. WimMerge can do that for example.

But they all compare files the same way - they compare each character in the files. That's fine for many uses, but not in this case.

Here, we need to compare only what the HTML file would display in a browser and ignore the rest of the underlying HTML code.

HTML Match seems to do a good job of this, but only operates on a pair of files at a time. If HTML Match operated on entire directories (like WinMerge or WinDiff), then it would be the perfect tool.

So if anyone knows of a tool that can compate HTML the way HTML Match does, which also can compare entire directories like WinMerge or WinDiff do - that's whay I'm looking for.
    Joe Strazzere

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ahhhh, I see. I don't think I've tried anything like that before, Joe. There must be something out there for it.

You know what I might suggest? Just email HTML Match. I mean if you've tried them and they work well, and it might be worth it to have this feature, you should be able to get them to implement this feature.

Just ask them if they do that, first, and then if they don't ask them if you could pay to have that feature implemented. See what kinda price they throw out there. I'll bet that for a couple hundred bucks they would do it. The website doesn't look like they are a large corpration or anything.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The closest tool I could find is cs-HTMLDiff:

http://www.componentsoftware.com/products/htmldiff/

It doesn't appear to be exactly what we want, but it's very close.

When I compare two folders of HTML files, the folder analysis (http://www.componentsoftware.com/pro...ots/folder.htm) will tell me that there is a difference, even if it's not a visual difference.

When I drill in to see the differences in context, it's clear that there are no visual differences, but I'd prefer not to have to drill down in this case.

I was hoping one of the options could suppress these "non-visual" difference indications, but I haven't found a way to do so.

Anyway, we'll likely purchase a copy and use it until something better comes along.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Joe Strazzere