Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manual web testing -> Semi automated

I've been a manual tester for 2 years mainly testing .Net apps and web stuff (sites, emails and rich media).

Where I work currently we test loads of emails and websites (yawn - but it's only a contract and pays well [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) daily and was wondering if there was any way of speeding up the QA process and automating it.

It's all (x)HTML and it's so basic I doubt there's even a tool for it. It's things like checking table width is no larger than 607, all images have alt text, code validates on Watchfire or W3C, checking size of all assets, works in all browsers etc etc.

Is there any tool that can test for these things and output the results which I would then check through then create a final test report?

Any help/advice/job offers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manual web testing -> Semi automated

I would think that sort of testing would be best handled by scripted work, at least that's how I would handle it myself. You can do all that with simple bash scripting, aside from testing browser compliance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    You can do all that with simple bash scripting

[/ QUOTE ]

.. or if you are not a masochist, you can try something like Perl/Python/Ruby.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you always have access to the code underneath the HTML pages, you might try Selenium (free).

If you need to validate whether the 607-wide table is actually displaying 607-pixels wide in the browser (rather than much wider or narrower or overlapping something else), or must validate Flash or other rich media, you'd need Eggplant (not free) or custom coding (way not free) to do that.
    Jay Ruuska

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cheers for that!

Have downloaded Selenium and will play with it this afternoon. Any other suggestions of decent, preferably free web testing tools?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you know .NET try WatiN
    http://watin.sourceforge.net/