Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cross browser testing

If I want to test a web site on 2 browsers(Compatibility testing) so should I execute all the test cases on both browsers.
    e.g.Inputing valid username & password in login screen.

Should the above test case be executed on 2 browsers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Cross browser testing

If time allowed I would do at least regression test cases on the "second" browser. If I started to find a lot of differences I would go deeper.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Using your example, I would think that particular "test" would be required to access the app for testing on ANY browser [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would agree - I use the base browser we usually develop in the main for IE) for initial testing and then I would for each subsequent browser that we state we support do what I said.

Our Web apps are usually not public so we limit the browsers we support.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If the application supports both the browsers then it is recomended to run the tests on both the browsers.

If the time is a constrainst then it is adviced to execute all the test cases in one browser and on the second browser ensure that the test cases executed covers all the features/ Pages.

------------
    Srinivas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's best to fully test on all targeted browsers.

If you have an existing customer base, it is a good practice to assess the risk of not testing on certain browsers based on your current user's browser statistics. You can attain this usage information via your web server monitoring software.

If 98% of your customers use IE, then is regression testing with the other targeted browsers worthwhile or should you expend that effort on additional IE testing?

Something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Did anyone read "Parkinson's Law?" (The chapter called "High Finance" is pertinent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ideally, you run through all browsers, but as you get a sense of how your applications work in browsers, you can start breaking them down into groups.

For example, we do the bulk of our testing in Internet Explorer, but as time permits, run the complete set of tests in the following browser sets, cutting from the bottom as needed:

Firefox-Windows
    Safari 2.0-Macintosh
    Netscape 8.1/8.0-Windows
    Firefox-Macintosh
    Netscape 7.2/Mozilla-Windows
    Netscape/Mozilla-Macintosh
    AOL-Windows
    AOL-Macintosh

Unfortunately, we do general consumer-facing sites, so we have to cover the gamut, because if we don't, someone out there will find an issue. Don't ask me how many times we've had WebTV users complain.....