Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best way to compare website images?

Hey guys,

I did a quick search on this topic and didn't find anything so hopefully this isn't a rehash (although if it is maybe someone could point me to the previous topic [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Basically, what we'd like to have is a reliable way to compare images on a web page.

A user would apply a theme to the web site, consisting of a bunch of images. What we want to compare is what is present on the new page against what was previously there (via automation of some sort) and see if the images are the same. We are expecting that there may be numerous changes to images in the themes.

I was thinking we could use some of the image attributes (date, size, etc...) to check this, but if a color was changed the size may or may not differ, and for some reason we've seen the dates on similar web sites show up as today's date because the page is being re-created, updating the dates (The filenames should be the same because we are anticipating images being updated).

So far the best way (we think) to do this via automation is with a CRC check using Radview's WebFT.

Has anybody worked on testing something like this and know of any tools that would help out with this? Any other automation tools support CRC checks? Doesn't necessarily have to be an automation tool although we are currently looking at a number of tools, trying to get something to automate the mundane testing tasks for the project.

Thanks!
    m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best way to compare website images?

You could probably roll-your-own using md5sum. I see mention of an API for Python and I'm certain there are ones for VB, Java and others. You could even do something like: read a byte, perform a calculation against the last byte, add to a variable, roll the variable over if beyond a certain point, end up with a large number. Something that already supports this would be nice, I'm just offering the suggestion so that this won't be a limiting requirement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A few web testing tools include Image Recognition features, for example Eggplant or iMacros.

http://www.iopus.com/imacros/irp/
    http://www.redstonesoftware.com/
    Get free Web Testing Add-Ons for IE and Firefox
    My email, iMacros Performance & Regression Web Testing
    Monitor your website in IE, Firefox and Chrome: AlertFox Website Monitoring - full AJAX and Flash applet support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ann2008, you are responding to a post that is 2.5 years old.

At least use Ann2005 for that! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok another tool to add: araxis.com/
    there are many such commercial tool and i think GPL too, please google, this is what i knew until now.
    regards
    tt
    Everything you can think of can be subject to test!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

>Ann2008, you are responding to a post that is 2.5 years old.

Sorry, not sure how I came across this post.
    Get free Web Testing Add-Ons for IE and Firefox
    My email, iMacros Performance & Regression Web Testing
    Monitor your website in IE, Firefox and Chrome: AlertFox Website Monitoring - full AJAX and Flash applet support.