Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Website Tuning, Optimization

Hi All,
    As a tester, I've been performing various testing activities using tools such as WinRunner, LoadRunner etc. I dare not say that I know everything about testing, but I would certainly say that I am more aware about the testing 'concepts' than the application develop concepts.
    I have a question regarding the post-testing process. Say for example I am given a web-application to test. I perform some load/stress tests and the results show that the application pretty much dies down after 10-15 Vusers are introduced. I pass on this result to the web developers and now they are worried as the web-site was designed to ideally handle atleast 45-50 users. So my question is, what would the developers do at this point? How would they make the application more sturdy? Would they make some hardware changes..?..what exactly do they do to tune/optimize the web-site so that it handles the desired number of users without breaking down?
    Can anyone please provide some insight on this?
    Informative replies would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Website Tuning, Optimization

You need to drill down further into what particular aspect is slow and where any bottlenecks might be.

When talking about a web application you might for example have a web server (eg., Apache), an application server (eg., WebLogic), a database (eg., Oracle) as well as the actual application code. Most of those components have tools for monitoring the load and subsequent tuning. Or you can try testing the application in isolation to determine if there's perhaps a coding problem, say file handles not being closed so it runs out of resources when loaded up.

Basically you need to find out more information and then you can start looking at what is required to fix it.
    Jill

http://www.ozibug.com - quality web based bug tracking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If the application dies when more than 15 users are logged in then I respectfully suggest there is a fundamental flaw in the scheduling algorithm that seems to favour opening new threads to doing the work to service opened threads. Don't laugh, I have actually seen a major server that was only licensed to handle a dozen or so users, and while it was trying to manage the limit it caused major problems because it accepted new threads that it could not service. Usually a server will slow any new users, and service already accepted users, to discourage overloading.

If you are testing with unthrottled Vusers (there is no wait time simulated) there is a possibility that your 15 Vusers might represent an equivalent load of 60 human users. It depends on what you are trying to prove: that the system incorporates an orderly degradation vs. a meltdown perhaps? If the problem is the number of concurrent threads a developer cannot do much about that until there is an upgrade installed. If the problem is more of a fundamental nature (such as the system fails when overloaded) you have to review why there are no throttles that limit the load so that there is no failure but a graceful degradation of service.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are lots of things to tune/tweak/fix.

First thing to look at is usually server and operating system configurations. There are literally hundreds of things to tune (obviously I can't make any knowledgable reccomendations without knowing about your environment).

The developers would then look at code refactoring. This is done by profiling the application and seeing where high amounts of time are spent, and optimizing those areas. This can often be simple code tweaks or algorithm changes.. or it may a complex redesign of entire components or subsystems.

only after you have a tuned and factored application, would you begin to throw hardware at it.

But the bottom line is there is LOTS to do. All of this is an important step to get appropriate throughput, response, and capacity from your systems.

One thing I am concerned about is that you said this is a "post testing process". The later you introduce load testing into your development/test process, the more at risk you are. It is an iterative effort that should be started early.

good luck.

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It would be better for you to understand which operations are taking most time cos not all operations would be taking the same amount of time. It would also help the developers if you could give some insight into which operations take how long.

The second point is check the tool which you are using whether it correctly simulates the number of users that you specify.

It would be helpful if you take the server profiler traces to see the calls to the server.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi All,
    Thanks for all your inputs. Was definitely very helpful and informative. To sum it all up, and to provide my understanding of your answers/my reasearch, here are some points to check:
    1)Overall programming logic/algorithm
    2)File handling mechanisms
    3)SQL statements (with respect to normalization/denormalization, complexity, store procs etc)
    4)Hardware issues
    5)Memory leaks
    6)Overall infrastructure, with respect to h/w deployement, s/w integration etc.

Thanks a lot again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

for number 1, it may very well be large architectural changes to your software (something much larger than isolated algorthims or coding optimizations)

I would add:
    -operating system tuning
    -server configuration/tuning
    (unless you are already including them in your number 6)
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mind you, a badly designed system can never be tuned to be good. Just as you cannot test quality into a system.

Often you need to go back to the drawing board.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Corey!
    It's always a pleasure to read ur comments - be it on this site or in one of the famous qa magazines!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi guys

cud u suggest some good tools to find out memory leakage ...But without cost [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast