Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is it Bug or Not?

Hi all,

I am working as a test eng. My daily tasks are checking the website for the data was updated or not. this is one of my daily task.
    While doing that task for some reports it was giving a customised error msg "Unable to Process ur request plz try again later"
    this is bcz the server timed out problem.
    In my report i am mentioning the same.
    But my developer was saying that it is not a bug and dont mention it.
    Is server timed out is a bug or not. Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is it Bug or Not?

I think it's not enough info to decide. I'd try to understand what does server do with your request by next sequence:
    1. Does the server get the full whole your GET/PORT/CONNECT info and TCP socket is not interrupted or something
    2. If server connects to DB - check it is processed correct
    3. Check how many concurrent connections(CC) there are on server when you get this message and so - what is the maximum CC server defined to hold

AND MY BEST WISH TO YOU: Sir, don't make this daily test manually - automate it. Use any appropriate scripting language - you can make your life easier

I can help you with this issue for free, just contact me to my e-mail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

From the developer point of view it is not a bug, But it is a serious performance bottleneck which needs more attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Usually a customized error message would not be a bug - a situation is recognized and your are being informed.

However if this happens a lot there may be a underlying bug that is causing the situation to happen.

I would suggest that you need to evaluate if this is a common occurrence, if it happens a specific times of day (e.g. heavy load times) and if you consider that this to be a problem continue forward.

Even if this is a bug it may not be coding - the hardware/data storage etc may not have enough capacity.

Make the developer you ally in researching this.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Y'know, any time an error message is generated, there is usually some reason why a specific error message is returned over another. Might want to refer to your requirements/design/other documents to see if it is specified why this error is returned.

If there is nothing specified in the documentation in regards to why this specific error is returned, as Lynne stated, "make the developer your ally in researching this." Further, ask the developer(s) in what situations this specific error is returned.

Then, once you know where and when the error will occur, you can provide additional feedback as to whether there are issues that may need to be addressed.

(Not terribly different from what Lynne posted previously, but with the addition of finding out in what specific situations the error is returned.)
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950