Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

New to the QA scene question.

Hello all, I have been reading through the posts in search of a product (or products) that can help me in my new position.

My strength lies in technical support (former manager for Adobe Acrobat support team) and I was brought here for the same purpose. We currently have no customers who need technical support since our products are still in development. I have been tasked to QA both the Web and the Windows app that are in progress. Since I do not have a full blown QA background I was more than a little surprised my first day to have 2 product managers speaking to me in some alien language that included words like test-harness, regression, hand written scripts, White box, etc. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have been spending the last 2 months reading everything I can find on QA, this site has been invaluable as an information source. I would now like to ask all of you true QA professionals out there for some advice. I apparently have a budget of 5k to 10k to bring in some automated testing software. My products managers are telling me what they want, but none of the products can be used to test both web and windows apps. To make matters more complicated, our web app uses a lot of technology that seems to befuddle the low cost and free applications. (The recorders get lost easily during playback, Java pop-ups are not registered, etc.)

I now have the Web app manager asking for hard numbers in regards to the maximum number of users our current server configuration can handle before it drops below acceptable parameters.

What I want to ask all of you is this; with my limited budget, will I be able to buy software that I, as a QA novice, will be able to use to make both the web and the windows managers happy?

I have gone through demos with empirix, redview, mercury, and some free or very cheap alternatives and nothing seems to fit the bill.

Any information you can give would be most appreciated.

Joe Levi

Somewhere in the Midwest!
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: New to the QA scene question.

Wow. Good thing there's no pressure on you! :-)

I'm not sure of the time frame that you are working under, but if it's short (like most time frames for ALL QA/Test activities), then you need to negotiate for more time. Remind your boss, as well as the folks who are pressuring you, that 5-10k spent poorly and rashly is a waste. 5-10k spent wisely and methodically is an asset.

Next, you need to do some serious requirements gathering, and fast! Again, if your timeframe is short, then define what you REALLY need; reporting, ease of use, etc. Since it sounds like the Product Managers have a stake in it, ask them for a list of requirements for the tool as well.

Once you have your requirements gathered (and again, remind the PM's that this exercise will land the best product, so it's not a waste of time), you can either send out an RFP or host some demo's. If you do find a company that offers a single application for both windows and web testing, then ask for a proof of concept.

You may also have to define which is the priority to have tested. Is the windows application more important, or the Web? If you say "both", then which is the more stable of the 2? Which needs the most attention?? There are some pretty tough choices that you, as well as your company, have to make.

Some companies, such as Compuware and maybe Segue have automated test tools that can fit both bills.
    You're probably not going to be able to add a Load/Performance tool along with a separate automated test tool in the mix for 5-10k. If you do need both, check out Rational Robot.

Again, push back, and make sure to do your homework!
    Hope that helps, and Good Luck!!!

-J Tester-