Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First Book...

Hi all,

I'm intersted in buying a book on web testing. I think "Testing Applications on the Web: Test Planning for Internet-Based Systems" by Hung Q. Nguyen is a good choice however I'm not sure about 2 things:

1) Since I have no prior experiance in qaulity assurance, I thought maybe ot would be better to first read "Testing Computer Software", again by Nguyen. Can you advise on this?

2) Maybe "The Web Testing Handbook" by Steven Splaine is better. Which one do you prefer?

BTW, I'm a CS graduate --> I'm not a exactly a newbie. I'm new to the field of quality assurance in general and web testing in particular.

Thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: First Book...

First, I'd suggest making sure that you get the Second Edition of Hung's book, which just came out.

Hung advises readers that his book is specialized to the web and that you should read a general-purpose introduction to testing first.

I don't know whether you need to go to an intro book first. Depending on the education you got in your school's CS program, you might have enough knowledge about testing, no knowledge about testing, or entirely incorrect knowledge about testing. Perhaps you should look the book over at your bookstore first (the web test book first, then the general purpose intros) and see what seems helpful.
    Cem Kaner, Professor of Computer Sciences, Florida Tech. kaner@kaner.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Steven Splaine's book is the best one I have seen.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for your replies.

"Perhaps you should look the book over at your bookstore first" - Here in Israel bookstores don't hold books of such type. So I have ask you guys before I make a purchase [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Eventually I want to have on my shelf the following books:
    1) Testing Computer Software - Cem Kaner.
    2) Effective Software Testing: 50 Ways to Improve Your Software Testing - Elfriede Dustin.
    3) Testing Applications on the Web: Test Planning for Internet-Based Systems - Hung Quoc Quoc Nguyen.
    4) The Web Testing Handbook - S. Splaine.

In my work I'll do web testing (SAP-Portals). Is this list enough to begin with? are there books in the list that "overlap" each other? Would you remove/add books from/to the list?

Sorry about all the questions [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

P.S
    I can't believe Cam Karner replied my post. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    A way to start my new career...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cem's book is very good. It's on my desk and I reference it from time to time.

You also may want to consider William E. Perry's Effective Methods for Software Testing, 2nd Ed.. It's another one I reference.

And thinking ahead: If you should get into automation, start with Elfriede's book: Automated Software Testing.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, I wrote it down.

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I can't believe I misspelled Cem Kaner's name. Twice! My apologies. Sorry [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

So embarrassed... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Alon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Lessons learned in Software testing" by the Kaner's gang [sort of a follow-up on the "Testing Computer Software"] is also very good, however, as authors put it, that one is not for the starters. do keep it in mind for the book shelf expansion! highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ 07-31-2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Ndpsk ]