I spent the two previous years working at Macromedia, specifically setting up automated testing for Macromedia's Sitespring which had embedded Flash in it, and also the Flash MX product which released last year.
What is the Flash being used for? Advertising? Navigation? An application?
No tool on the market when I was testing those products could successfully see into a flash movie if it had action script in it. Mercury claimed that they could successfully see Flash objects with Astra Quick Test Pro, and it actually could, as long as the Flash movie used standard flash objects. As soon as any ActionScript was used, the tool would see the whole flash movie as an Afx custom window.
I met with a couple of technical reps from Mercury who came to the Macromedia office to witness the results, but as of several months ago it was still a problem.
I ended up using SilkTest which also could not recognize flash objects, except for the movie itself. I ended up using keystrokes to navigate through the flash embedded on the web page and had great success. That should work for you as long as there are Flash objects in the Tab order, and you have a resulting page that you can verify against. For example, if your flash has a push button symbol in it and it casues a different URL to appear, or page to appear, then you know the Flash object did its trick.
As I am not sure how flash is being used in your product, I cannot specifically suggest any more specifics, but you may want ot evaluate Astra Quick Test if your Flash app is not real elaborate.
I've had some success testing flash functionality with e-Tester. Content is another issue.
I once worked on a project testing shockwave files-which present the same issues as testing flash. Someone on the team bult a shockwave harness that could open other shockwave files, verify content and post results. I'd imagine you could buld something similiar for flash.
I have had the same problem. I know winrunner doesn't support testing them. We were using flash for navigation menu's. The workaround was to have a test mode where all menus were kept "on" at all times. Then I mapped the area for a object and tested it that way. Not great but it worked