Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Netscape 6.1 / IE 5.x testing

Hi All,

Any suggestions on a good package to consider for testing a web application supporting Netscape 6.x and Internet Explorer 5.x? We are currently using WinRunner which apparently does NOT support Netscape 6.1. This is a big problem. Sooo...looking ahead, the other packages I have heard of but have not researched yet are SilkTest and Virtual Robot.

Perhaps someone can share their past experiences and what they would recommend web app testing?

Thanks,
    proqa

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Netscape 6.1 / IE 5.x testing

Well, let me redirect this post a bit. Does anyone out there have an opinion on which web testing tools are best at keeping up with browser updates? MI does not support Netscape 6x and there is no solid date regarding when this support will come. What about Silk, Rational, Visual, etc?

Has this caused others problems in testing? What's your opinion regarding which tool is the most reliably updated to accomodate browser updates?

Thanks!
    proqa

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I can't really answer your question regarding other tools, unfortunately, but what I would ask is how long those versions of Netscape have been in release? You may want to also, as you evaluate tools, evaluate how quickly you require support for the newest versions of browsers - while I see the need to allow customers the ability to access a site with the 'newest' toys, it's also a testing nightmare, and I've always wondered why companies feel the need to support them immediately?

My understanding was Netscape 6 was put into "Release" only a few weeks ago, and IMHO, while doing a regression to determine where issues are is wise, I don't know that I'd advocate full support so soon.

------------------
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmmm..I thought that NS6 had actually been "released" some time ago -- like nearly a year ago? Not sure what the exact date was though..I know that there was a recent NS 6.2 release within the last couple weeks.

But I agree with the general point you make. In general, the platform / browser that a product runs on should be well established enough to yield a large user base as well as 3rd party tools support. But, you also do not want to lag behind. It is a balance like so many other things.

-proqa

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by proqa:
    Hmmm..I thought that NS6 had actually been "released" some time ago -- like nearly a year ago?

It is a balance like so many other things.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's definitely a possibility - I could have been thinking of when I was actually willing to load it on any machine!

All of QA is a balance, I agree.

------------------
    "I want the fairy tale..."
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing