Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: dynamic screenshots for web application

Do you have an id that lets you in with full access?

If not, can you get one?

Then do other access levels.

------------------
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

jordan - that is exactly my approach and it works (ie I have the login, and I am starting with full access). the problem stems elsewhere. there are two frames - a navigation frame and a content frame. it is really slow and inefficient to have silktest find all the objects in the navigation page, find the links (some of which are in a menu that uses dhtml layers which silktest has serious trouble with), click on all the links and take screenshots for every content page. it's much worse though: there are many links on each of the content pages, each of wich needs to be tracked down, some of which have required fields, some of which popup new windows. some pages will be visited many times, but I do not want to take multiple screenshots. basically, silktest is not the right tool.
    -monte

------------------

[This message has been edited by monte (edited 07-20-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

dynamic screenshots for web application

I need a script or program that will generate screenshots for every page in my company's web application. Ideally, when I run it it will update all of the screenshots that have changed due to code changes.

currently I am trying to do this with silktest and it is an uphill battle. the application is jsp generated and depending on your user level, different things appear, so I need the ability to log in. there are many javascript links that open new windows or require certain fields to be filled in. there are multiple ways of getting to some pages but I only want one screenshot for each page so I need some way of recognizing pages.

silktest is very bad at dealing with dynamic browsing - is there a better solution?

has anyone done anything similar? any suggestions for a better program/approach? anyone tried something like this in silktest?
    I would be extremely helpful for any advice/help!
    thanks,
    -monte

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree, you are not using the right tool. Compuware's QA Run allows for screen shots. But are the screen shots really necessary?
    LinkScan works very well with dynamic content and scans through the site for you. Both tools have a free trial download that allow you to check it out. LinkScan allows the option of scanning each item once so you're not hitting the same item multiple times. Lots of customization with this tool and tech support is outstanding.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks for the suggestions drake, I'm checkin them out.

the thing is, the whole reason I am doing this is for the screenshots (I'm questioning if they're necessary too). I'm not testing anything at all. I just need something that can crawl through the entire application (including the dhtml popup menus and through pages with required fields) and take screenshots as it goes. it has to be dynamic, though, so recording testcases does me no good.
    -monte

------------------