Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Controlling browsers in parallel? Manually or with automation

I was wondering, whether there are any tools or services that currently provide this. In terms of cross browser compatibility testing, going through testing against each browser one at a time is time consuming and laborious. Unfortunately with time constraints, and when testing new features & fixes (let's say not the major planned projects but more like bunch of quick bug fixes), you don't have access to automation that you can just run against multiple browsers (in parallel) to check things are ok.

You're more testing manually or in exploratory testing mode. I am looking for something that can reduce (though expected to be not perfect) the testing time by controlling/driving multiple browsers at the same time to see how a site behaves in each given browser by controlling some central standard browser (or tool). Kind of like "Simon says" - Simon is master browser, what it does all other browsers (attempt to) follow. This way I don't have to test something in one browser, then next try again in a different browser.

Tools that take screenshots of a URL with each browser won't work as I need to test dynamic interaction and not static URLs. Running automated tests against multiple browsers won't work well either as most of the testing isn't automated yet, so you only cover some.

SQA Knight
    Playa Del Rey, California, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    17 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I'd be interested to hearing if someone has made any tools around this. For the most part cross browser stuff for me is tested using selenium webdriver running on selenium grid.

As for the manual testing part, I'd like to hear more of what other's have done. In theory, I think it should be possible. I saw a demo once of a Flash based plugin for Google Wave that loaded an iframe inside of the flash app. As the user performed their actions, the flash app clickjacked the user's clicks and keyboard actions, and replayed it to a remote browser that was connected to the same Google Wave session. This allowed 2 or more people to have a synchronized browsing session. Up to about a year ago, Clickjacking was a very serious security flaw that many sites didn't protect against. (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Clickjacking), if you can disable clickjacking prevention, you can in theory replay all site interactions entirely in JavaScript. (This is also the reason why Flash disabled keyboard inputs while in full screen movie mode)

As for taking screenshots, in our open test framework, there's a setting called "take_reference_screenshot" (https://github.com/wiredrive/wtframe...s/default.yaml) which will automatically take a screenshot every time a new page object is encountered. We can do this for each browser we run on the grid during an automated test, then send these out to for low cost labor to compare against their mockups.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile