Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

BCT for Firefox - when the version was changed

Hi

we complete testing our product (functional and look and feel) in Firefox 3.6.13 and also released

but yesterday they released FF4 new version,
    shall we do again whole application testing in FF4? (functional and look and feel)

i'm thinking no need to tested our application in FF4, because some minor improvement is there in FF4

please advise me , when the browser version is changed (FF and IE) Like FF 3.6.15 to 3.6.18 vice versa is it applicable for testing again for our product, again we do means we do the enhancement documents like resource planning, testing and bug fixing, cost also

so how can we plan the testing for those situation

regards
    Prabu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: BCT for Firefox - when the version was changed

[ QUOTE ]
    i'm thinking no need to tested our application in FF4, because some minor improvement is there in FF4

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you base your decision on actual experience, or is this just a guess?

In just a few hours of testing with Firefox 4, we spotted some unexpected problems in one of our web apps. For me, in my shop, this justifies additional serious testing.

Whenever a new version of a browser appears, we do some initial testing first to educate ourselves on the changes to the browser, and gauge the potential impact on our applications. Then, with this knowledge in hand, we can plan further testing on the new platform.

We'll be doing this both with IE9 and FF4. Based on our findings, the company can then make the proper business decision about when to include the new versions as "formally supported" browsers.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi joe,

this is my based on experience only,
    and i studied the release noted for the FF4, they said improved the JS execution performance and some minor changes

regards
    prabu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Perhaps you'll get lucky and Firefox 4 contains no changes that will impact your product. Perhaps not.

I'm not sure how you could know, without first doing some testing.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agree, sometimes you won't know what big issue will be missed if you ignore it .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"so how can we plan the testing for those situation"

The answer to this is High Level Testing or Smoke Testing... some form of testing that involves a sweep of the most basic or most important aspects of your application to see if any critical issues come up.

In a very mature shop you might have a regression suite automated to check for any changes.

But even in the smallest, least mature shops there should be a review of the release notes to see if there was any published change that looks likely to hit your functionality. It's nice to do this in a review meeting so that you can get more than 1 perspective.

Tester