Hello all,

I'm looking to perform some automation tests for my company's newsletters, but haven't performed much automation in the past, so I'm looking to the bountiful knowledge contained in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. I have a familiarity with object oriented languages and scripting in school, so I'm not afraid to get pretty granular if needed. However, I'm looking to write tests that are easily maintainable for the rest of my team who does not have as much experience as I do.

The newsletters are encoded in html, and graphically intensive, and consist of different links that contain either javascript calls to launch our desktop client or php variables to do things such as track clicks/installs/etc.

What I'd like to do is, given an HTML file of our newsletter hosted on a server, break each link out into it's meaningful parts. for example, if I have a link like:

break it out into:
www | domain | com | mylink | html | myparameter=1 | my parameter = 2

and then run tests on each of these parts, like is it a valid parameter, is it the correct domain, is the link malformed in general, etc.

In terms of reporting, I would just need to have a simple pass/fail output in the console or something.

Also, it would be awesome if there's a way to automate opening up the newsletter in multiple web email providers to verify that it doesn't get incorrectly flagged as spam.

I'm looking to get a recommendation on what the most appropriate framework is to do these kind of tests. If there's just a good python api to do this too, I don't mind going that route.

I've looked a little bit into Robot Framework + Selenium, but haven't had a chance to dive in yet. I'm a little reluctant because this test isn't necessarily data-driven or functional per se, thought it would be nice if this combo could handle these tests as there are other website tests I'll need to set up down the road.

Thanks a lot!