Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automated Testing on Web Application - newbie

Hi Every one

This is my first post, and I am not sure I am putting this in the right place. I have read through the "newbie" posts, and read alot of articles so I am posting in the hope of getting some advice on a few things.

1. Automated testing software
    I had a demo by HP regarding their BISO software but my company cannot afford the 480k bill (South African rands)
    I have a meeting with IBM this week, to look at their rational robot's, and I have demo'ed TestComplete but I am struggling to come to grips with it. What do you guys think is a cost efficient software to run automated testing?

2. Technical and Function Testing methodologies
    My company uses the RELAY methodology, and I have had been expose to many a ******* form of AGILE. I am the head of QA, and so my input is needed so we can expand the way testing works. My questions is this - how far do you go as a technical or function tester? I'm an ex Developer so I spend alot of time going into the code to figure things out, so the devs quickly find the issue and fix it. But What is considered best practice here? The adhoc testing which seems to be most prominent here doesn't work for me, and trying to get the developers to move into the mindset of "testing is not an option" is proving to be tough, any ideas?

3. Security and Load testing
    How do you even begin to test these sort of things with out 3rd part applications.

I know I sound like an absolute beginner here, but I want to get my foundations right before I start training new testers.

Thanks
    Lou
    QA LEAD: I break the unbreakable, and I LIKE it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automated Testing on Web Application - newbie

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Automated testing software
    I had a demo by HP regarding their BISO software but my company cannot afford the 480k bill (South African rands)
    I have a meeting with IBM this week, to look at their rational robot's, and I have demo'ed TestComplete but I am struggling to come to grips with it. What do you guys think is a cost efficient software to run automated testing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be pretty hard for someone to recommend something without knowing a lot more about your requirements.

So we know 480k is not within your budget, but we don't know anything more precise than that.

We know that you are struggling with TestComplete, but not why. Is is too technical for your team? Is it not able to automate your systems-under-test?

Every company defines their automation goals differently based on their needs, budget, schedule, technical background, etc.

Read through some of the "what would you recommend" posts here at SQAForums, and you may see some of the factors considered.

At my shop, we are currently using WinTask and are happy with it. It's right for us. Your mileage may vary.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!