Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IE6 & IE7 on1machine_IE6 not displaying multimedia

Hi,
    first I like to say that as a new tester - this site is a God-send. Love your posts and advice.

So my problem:
    I'm running IE7 and IE6 (Muliple IEs) on one computer (windows XP) - however, IE6 won't display any multimedia (can't even play any youtube videos). This is a problem since the site I'm testing displays ads by clients using multimedia formats. I need to test that those ads run on IE6. This is not an issue when I'm testing the site on IE7 and Mozilla 3.

What am I not doing?

Can someone lead me in the right direction to understand why this is happening and how I can resolve it.

thanks in advance

- Esan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: IE6 & IE7 on1machine_IE6 not displaying multimedia

What happens when you use a normal IE6-only installation, instead of the "Multiple IE" hack?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It displays properly. But it's someone's computer which I can't use for testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So you have a situation where something works on a machine that has a normal IE6 installation, but doesn't work when you use the "Multiple IE" hack.

This suggests that you should consider either getting more than one test machine, or using something other than "Multiple IE".

Have you looked at something like Microsoft Virtual PC?
    I use it to host several VMs - each with it's own browser version installed.

Recently, I've been using it to assess potential problems with our systems under each Beta version if IE8:
    http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/1504/...Virtual+PC.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm a little more blunt than Joe. A system with both IE6 and IE7 forced onto it is NOT suitable for reliable testing of the two versions.

You might also consider Norton Ghost. Aside from the fact that each image (which - I admit - takes time to restore) can contain its own IE (or anything else), it also gives you a "clean" setup to work with as a starting point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you use XP, uninstall IE 7 from the "ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS" window, it will automatically revert to IE6. then get an installer from MS web site when you need to switch to IE 7. this takes a few minutes to install and uninstall if you have only 1 test box. If you have 2 test stations then install a different version on each station
    I just tested a web site and the developer kept reassigning bugs found in IE 6 to me as "fixed". He used virtual browser (sorry I do not have details about his machine set up all I understand is that he used virtual browsers) and it turned out that fixes he would preview were not working on "a real" browser. That's why I do not use Virtual Browsers to test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are more problems there in IE8. its goes problematic when it is in Firefox. I think there is internal functionality that sport the same same scrpit in one version or browser but it does not in other,

It will be helpful in SQA and testing
    htpp://s-qa.blogspot.com
    regards,
    hafeez
    SQA Knowledge Bank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

An alternative to Virtual PC for testing compatibility across IE browser versions is IETester. (See http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage). It is free to download and displays IE versions in a tabbed GUI. You can view the same website / web app in simultaneous IE 5.5, IE6, IE7 and IE8 tabs. This really is very handy. It can crash now and again but I think that can be forgiven since its freeware and it does give you a tremendous benefit.

Having many VHD files for all your different configurations you want to test in Virtual PC can consume significant hard disk space. Depends on the spec of your PC is this is an issue or not. If it is, then a tool like IETester can help enormously. Good luck!
    <font color="#169014">Sean Paterson</font>

http://www.the-software-tester.com