USC Center for Software Engineering Presents
Los Angeles
Software Process Improvement Network

Wednesday April 24, 2002 at 5:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M.
"What Is My Role in Information Survivability and Why Should I Care?"

Speaker: Julia Allen, Software Engineering Institute (SEI), Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)

As a software developer, manager, project manager, or SEPG member, consider this:
·How do I help protect my work from viruses, intrusions, or compromised data?
·How can I minimize the risks of compromise from a security breach to systems in my environment?
·Do I just call the help desk or the IT hotline? Or do I have a greater responsibility?
·How can I influence others to do something so that my project doesn't fail due to a security breach?

Computing infrastructures, hardware, and software may seem invisible to you until there is a problem. You take for granted that it works or assume somebody will fix it, but you can do things to help yourself, your projects, and your business. Information survivability is a new technical and business perspective on protecting critical assets (systems, networks, and information assets that, if damaged, could affect your ability to do business). To protect mission-critical systems from cyber-attacks, failures, and accidents, the new survivability approach expands critical asset protection to a business-critical and risk-management perspective that requires participation of the whole organization from executives to all employees. Much of what we learned in software process improvement can be applied to solve the organizational change problems inherent in addressing this new business-critical area. Julia Allen will discuss how to identify survivability and security risks to c! ri! tical assets, how to determine protection strategies to mitigate risks, and how to use a set of practices as the basis for action plans and implementation planning and review for continuous improvement of information survivability.

Julia Allen is a senior member of the technical staff in the Networked Systems Survivability Program at SEI, where she is engaged in development and transition of security improvement practices for network-based systems. Previously, Allen served as acting Director of the SEI and Deputy Director/Chief Operating Officer. She started the Industry Customer Sector at the SEI. Allen has over twenty-five years of managerial and technical experience in software engineering. She was Vice President at SAIC, responsible for starting a division specializing in embedded systems software for government customers, and was responsible at TRW for integration, test, field site support, and managing major software development programs. She wrote The CERT Guide to System and Network Security Practices (Addison-Wesley, June 2001).

* Location: University of Southern California - Information Sciences Institute
11th Floor Conference Room, 4676 Admiralty Way, Marina Del Rey, CA
Map and directions at | Directions

5:30 to 6:00 Networking 7:00 to 7:30 Networking
6:00 to 7:00 Presentation 7:30 to 8:30 Presentation cont'd

No reservations required, free parking is available in a nearby structure.
For additional information:
LaDonna Pierce, CSE Administrator, at (213) 740-5703 or via email:
* Future Meetings: *
May 29: Checklist and Scorecard for Consulting + Roundtable - Arnie Goodman - at Marina del Rey
Jun. 26: TBD

-- Jean
There are no failures.
There are only extended learning opportunities.