Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Learning how to test Unix

I am an experienced QA Analyst who has never tested UNIX...I would like to learn how to test it...I bought the book "UNIX for Dummies" and I am reading it, but I don't know where to go next as far as applying what I learn. My environment is in Windows XP, I don't have any money (unemployed at this time) and I obviously have the time. Do you have any suggestions!! Thanks in advance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Elisa Derbes Murphy

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Learning how to test Unix

Um...do you really want to test Unix? Based on the book you have, I'd be willing to hazard a guess that you want to learn is to be able to navigate and be functional within the Unix environment. I'll go off of this assumption. (If you really want to test Unix itself, you definitely have a long and arduous path in front of you.)

To become familiar with a Unix (or Linux)-like environment, there are a couple of paths you could take. The easiest would be to install Cygwin - http://www.cygwin.com/ . Alternately, you can root around and download and install one of the many Linux distributions available.

That should give you a start....
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your suggestions!
    I see a lot of QA jobs that require UNIX Shell writing experience... Am I missing something here or is QA testing becoming QA/programming testing???
    Elisa Derbes Murphy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

elisalu..

i agree Cygwin is excellent. you can also get a Live distribution of GNU/Linux (Like Knoppix, or MEPIS).. you can boot your windows machine directly into a Linux distribution without actuallt installing anything. it all runs right off of CD. when u are done u remove the CD and boot again and u are back in windows.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by elisalu:
    Thanks for your suggestions!
    I see a lot of QA jobs that require UNIX Shell writing experience... Am I missing something here or is QA testing becoming QA/programming testing???
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Programming skills are not necessary for every testing job, but they are needed for certain testing jobs and can greatly facilitate other testing jobs.

Let's say, for instance, that you have a test case where you need a test data file with 1000 tab-delimited lines with name and address info (and don't care much about the details other than each record being unique). You have a few choices on how to create this test data. Among them are:

1. Type it out line by line in your text editor of choice.

2. Create it in Excel and save it as a tab-delimited file (pretty much as bad as option 1).

3. Purchase a data generation tool (or find a freeware tool) and learn how to use it.

4. Write a short little script/program to create your test data. For instance:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">#!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use strict;
    open(FILE, &quot;&gt;addresses.txt&quot or die &quot;Could not open file.\n&quot;;
    my $line;
    for($line = 1; $line &lt;= 1000; $line++)
    {
    printf FILE (&quot;Lastname%04d\tFirstname%04d\t1%04d Streetname\tCity\tST\t%04d\r\n&quot;,
    $line, $line, $line, $line);
    }
    close(FILE);</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">This took me about 5 minutes to write and a couple seconds to run, creating a 1000-line tab-delimited file. Beats the heck out of creating that data by hand!

I have used various shell and perl scripts for all sorts of test utilities, from test data creation to test results analysis to simple test run automation.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    Can you pls explain these lines
    "#!/usr/bin/perl -w
    use strict;"
    and
    How to run the above script.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For an explanation of the shebang (#!/usr/bin/perl): http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/shebang.htm

The -w refers to using warnings. In Perl 5.6 and beyond, "use warnings;" is used more frequently. It warns about various types of errors at the time the script/program/whatever is compiled by Perl.

"use strict;" is used to "enforce some good programming rules" (per Learning Perl, O'Reilly, Schwartz and Phoenix.)

As to running the script, if you're in a *nix environment, the easiest way to run the script is to make it executable and then run the script - ./scriptname

A good source for learning Perl is Learning Perl by Schwartz and Phoenix. Beyond that, there are many many Perl resources available on the web. A good start is http://learn.perl.org/
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950