Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

UNIX vs NT - Which is Best?

I am a college student and doing a paper on UNIX/NT Operating Systems. I need some opinions on UNIX verses NT, either professional or personal. So far my research has lead me to believe that perhaps a combination would be the best way to go. Please let me know your thoughts. If you know of any Websites to visit that may help me I would welcome that info as well. Thank you.

------------------
    Rowland
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: UNIX vs NT - Which is Best?

You are going to have a hard time, in many cases, getting an unbiased answer to this one without, of course, using the systems yourself with a set of defined criteria that you are looking for (i.e., stability, hooks-into-API, firewalls, security), etc. They both have their strengths and weaknesses - regardless of what anyone tells you. Also keep in mind that even though Windows 2000 is built on Windows NT technology it is sufficiently different, in many respects, to be treated separately. Microsoft is pushing people to move to 2000 instead of NT and the smart ones are doing it (if they insist on a Microsoft shop). Keep in mind that within the UNIX world many are moving to Linux while others consider that a blight. Others insist FreeBSD is the way to go. Each offers features and problems that cannot always be encapsulated within the general term "UNIX."

You also have to specify what this is for. You say a combination might be the best way to go. But a combination for what? Is this for a Web environment? A general IT solution at a corporation? It can make a difference.

One place you might check out is http://www.unix-vs-nt.org/

Doing a simple search on the Web will also give you many links to list servers and newsgroups where this question has been debated endlessly (or so it seems). The newsgroups can be particularly helpful if you sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak and filter out the vitriolic that comes with anything as "religious" as your operating system choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best for what???

My personal opion is that Unix is a superior OS when it comes to complex, technical solutions. Besides, it is much more fun!

Most articles I have read recently about server-solutions also shows that unix-servers are much more stable and secure.

Regards Björn

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would have to agree that, as a general rule, UNIX servers are more stable. Even a Linux installation running Apache is more stable than Windows NT. However, I will also give Microsoft credit with Windows 2000. I have set up some pretty robust sites with Windows 2000 as well as did some high-scale capacity planning on both UNIX and Windows environments. Windows NT, in my opinion, was a joke compared to UNIX - but Windows 2000 is a different story. Certainly not perfect, but a far cry from the sometimes problematic NT.

As far as security, they both have their major flaws as far as I am concerned. Microsoft has a lot of breaches via Web (such as IIS, FrontPage extensions, Outlook problems, etc.) but UNIX has just as many ways to get in via gaining root access. However, having said that, UNIX security flaws are usually (I have found) because of sloppy administration whereas Windows security flaws are usually intrinsic rather than the result of sloppy administration. But those security flaws can certainly be compensated for if updating is maintained.

However, UNIX fails big time on the usability and human factors angles - probably one of the major reasons that Linux (in its many incarnations) has just not caught on yet - at least not with the general public.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for the input! I would love to hear more from everyone - don't be shy and put your 2 cents in. It certainly is a big help.

JeffNyman - Win 2000 comments were good, yet another twist to my paper. Greatly appreciated your input.

------------------
    Rowland
    Rowland