Thread: Printer Drivers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Printer Drivers

Hi, Does anyone know of a tool for testing different types of printer drivers (a free tool would be good...). Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Printer Drivers

Although I have not seen specific test tools, you can always reroute the printer port to a file and research the results of a print job that way. You can create any kind of print output by selecting the appropriate printer driver. So, if you wanted to compare the result of sending a document to a laser printer vs. a dot-matrix, for example, then you print it twice, selecting a different printer each time and routing the output to a file. Then you can do a file compare to see the different command sequences used to driver each type of printer. The best part is that there is no cost (if you want to experiment with different types of printers you can typically download drivers at no cost). I don't know if this is what you are up to, but there are obviously many variations of this theme.

If you want to validate a printer firmware, then you can test it in the PC initially by reading a previously generated printimage file (as above). Hopefully this will give you some ideas...
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Frits Bos, Yes that's pretty much exactly what I want to do. I need to test my printing functionality on a range of different printers so I was looking for a tool to send a print job to the driver (and bypass the expense and hastle of getting the physical hardware). I'm surprised there isn't something out there already, surely there is a market for such a tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I forgot to point out that if you do not have any printer attached you can still write to the print queue, which is on disk of course. You can then keep the queue file for comparisons, all you need is a pseudo spooler to take a printimage and copy it to a standard binary file.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com