Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How can we perform White Box Testing?

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone tell me:
    How can we test the application thru White Box Testing?

u can send the reply to this id:
    Reddy1188@yahoo.com

Regards,
    Sri.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How can we perform White Box Testing?

It might be useful if you provided some more info about the application you want to test.
    You should have a look at Cem Kaner's book (Testing Computer Software 2nd edition ISBN 0-471-35846-0), specifically appendix A that provides a large number of common software errors that you can test for.
    Remember that unit testing is not enough to guarantee a correct software
    BH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    i m hoping that someone can help me for my concerns here.
    i work as a QA enginner in a offshore enivorment. currently we are trying to implements SD cycles and process in our company. WHite box testing is wht i own or its my responsiblity.i have proposed my process like how we gonno implement this process in our company. but we yet to start it in reality.
    we have different application to test here like VU and flash based web sites.what i proposed was as soon as we get the chunks of code we will implement White box testing on this piece after review process.
    now plz guide me for few templets or Techniques i shoudl adopt for my work.
    i have been asked to do some innovations in my work so we can imporve the quality of our Products.
    please take it a serious request and if anyone wana talk to on MSN :usama123@hotmail.com , its my id or we can have discussion over mails.
    i m expecting the Gurus here to help me out.
    Thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For a better understanding of what white box test involves you may want to follow up on JUnit, the standard for a unit testing framework. Basically this is a method of establishing an application within which you write the code to be tested. The purpose of the framework application is to supply the context within which the new code must run, and the data (typically calls to a function with the appropriate parameter values) used as inputs and a method for validating the output returned by the new code. The idea is that periodically as you develop you execute the code to see if there are any new bugs introduced, fix it, and run the test again. Since you have access to the code and since you run (typically) within a debugger you can examine the current state of variables within the code under development. That is the core of a white box test, normally without templates but with a series of input records containing a set of test cases.

Usama, it is best to maintain the dialog through the forum, so that other people can pick up on an idea without starting e-mails back and forth with each individual, which simply is not practical.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Frits
    it is certainly great feelings that someone like you answered my questions.
    i understand what r u saying here.. i still need to know few things.
    we use coldfusion as a core development language here. i made a coding standard document for cold fusion and it is helping us to improve our code.
    i need some standard templets for different testing tasks includes tasks.
    and may i know wht more comes in white box testing??
    i hope i haven't being stupid in my questions here
    waiting for u reply
    thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

usama,

I think writing stubs and drivers will help you.

-ram
    He is a true friend who does not forsake us in time of need, misfortune, famine, or war, in
    a king's court, or at the crematorium (smasana). - Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ram
    i did not get you, wht do u mean by stubs and dirvers??
    sorry if i m being stupid here

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Usama,

If you use a tool like Cold Fusion you may need to drive the tests using an artificial main line program, basically a loop that (1) reads the data for the next test, (2) calls the process(es) that are being tested, and (3) logs the test results. Stubs are little replacement routines that vary from "do nothing" to "do some fixed thing" for any function that cannot be supported in testing, exactly as Ram suggests. You could make a stub log that it was entered like "Log 324 - Entered Interest Rate Lookup" for example, and the stub itself yields a fixed interest rate in lieu of a table lookup. This removes variability from your testing to help you debug other aspects of code.

Short of writing the code, this is about all I am able to suggest you do. If you want to understand the principles behind this you can still look for some JUnit testing documentation (this is almost the standard now), even though JUnit itself is to be used for Java code. There are many versions of JUnit ported to different languages and platforms and most contain references to JUnit, which makes it a good search criterion.

Good luck with your quest.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks alot again.
    do u know any tool like JRUN for cold fusion where i can define my rules and test my code?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Usama,

I have not had that level of exposure to the cold fusion product or related testing tools. Maybe someone else can respond to this.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com