Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Exemption for Unit Testing?

Some developers from my company have proposed to be exempted from unit testing for certain modules as they claimed they are unable to replicate same bug in UAT environment etc. hmm...I have never come across this.Need advice from all QA experts out there. Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Exemption for Unit Testing?

Sounds to me like they just don't want to take the time to test their code. Developers like to code, not test.

If it were me in your shoes, I would recommend strongly that this proposal be rejected. However, there is also a burden on the testers. If the developers truly cannot replicate the bug and the testers can, then the testers did not completely document how to replicate. In that case, you have some fence mending to do before you make your recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are more benefits to unit testing than only finding and fixing bugs. One such benefit is it protects against changes made to one part of the code having an unintended side-effect on another part.

If they can't replicate the bug with Unit Tests, it sounds like the bug is occuring in an interaction with another component or resource. What they need to do in that case is create a mock object for that component or resource, make that mock object return the value that is causing the problem, and fix the code to handle that condition correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

it often happens where I work. There are some bugs that the developers can never reproduce in their development environment and they often don't have the same physical hardware available to them as testing does....as long as they inform us that they were unable to unit test..thats fine - we will ensure we test more thoroughly
    There are however many developers who are just lazy and don't like unit testing..those ones are likely to get their code rejected and sent back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Always developers don't want unit test their code unless there is strong policy in the company. In our place, Developer can not check-in code unless his/her unit test is passed. Obviously there are lot of benifits of doing, though you see delay of delivering initial version of software.