Automted testing certification?

My manager has been pushing to get everyone their CSTE certification. I have pointed out to her that the CSTE covers areas that aren't relevant to my day-to-day job (I don't create test plans or testcases, I just take the test cases supplied to me by the manual testers and automate them) and I felt that it might not be the best use of money or my time getting me certified in that area. She agreed and asked me to do some research into some outside education/certification I could get for automation.

We're a Segue company right now, but we're bringing in Mercury and I'll be the first person to be working with it. Is there a general automation certification of any type, or should I look at specific classes from Segue/Mercury for the tools I'm using?

Re: Automted testing certification?

Hey Jason, you'd probably find more answers in the 'Training and Certification' forum here. It's towards the bottom. As always, getting Certification in the tools that you use helps alot, but i cannot give you much more information than that. Check the other forum for more answers
    Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience -- Dilbert

I know Segue offers certification and I'm sure other vendors do also. I've never been too keen on vendor specific certification as it is just a way for vendors to sell pieces of paper and offer minimal training as a means to get additional revenue from their products.

However, I don't know of any specific automation certification.. maybe others do?

Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

West Coast of the East Coast!

I've never heard of any, at least not in the past seven years. Perhaps you should have accepted the original CSTE idea. If you learn how to do Test Plans and the like, you make yourself available for promotion to a higher position. Maybe that's what your Boss had planned for you. Just something to consider.

The CSTP offers a certification which covers automation as part of its curriculum, you might want to take a look: http://www.testinginstitute.com/cstp.php
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Jason -- I agree wholeheartedly with Rich. First, never turn down any certification someone else is willing to pay for...even if it is not useful to you now, the future is uncertain, and it always looks good on the resume. Second, I am CSTE, although old and lapsed, but I think it is an invaluable part of my entire lifes experience and education, and can only make you a better tester. Third, as Rich pointed out, your boss may have been trying to set you up for professional advancement; as a technically oriented person who loves doing the automation work, I can tell you that eventually you will hit that glass ceiling, and if you have any aspirations, knowledge beyond the mechanics of the tool will be crucial to breaking through that.

Having said all of that, I will disagree only slightly with a previous response; the CPC on QuickTest was one of the most mentally painful experiences I have gone through..while it is horribly expensive and very frustrating, you will know a LOT about the tool when you are done. However, before considering the certification, you absolutely must have the basic and advanced training and a fair amount of hands on experience in real world situations, or it will be a waste of time for you.

Thanks for all of the advice. Due to the organization of automation at my current company, the CSTE really would not apply to my work here, nor would it apply nay time in the near future as the "path" I am on would leave me in automation for the next few years. While I agree that it's foolish to pass up certification, it really isn't the best interest of the company to spend money on getting me that certification right now, and at a time when the company has asked us to watch our expenses, I felt that I had to point that out. Personally I'm much more receptive to spending my own time and money on studying for a certification that will be relevant for me sooner than 5 years from now as well.

I'm looking at the CSTP right now, not only does it include automation, it's also congiured in a way that works better for me (10 1-day classes instead of 1 huge test with te CSTE) and my learning style. I've passed that website on to my manager. I'll also look at Mercury and Segue's offerings, though I am nowhere near the skill level that David reccomends for the Mercury certification, so I won't be doing that any time soon. If anyone things of anything else, fell free to post! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]