Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good Master Degree for a Tester

hi there
    i am Computer science graduate having more then 2 years of experience as Quality Assurance Engineer.
    i would like to know is there any master course offered by any good UK university for which i can apply ?
    i will be very grateful to you
    regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Good Master Degree for a Tester

My first question is: Why?
    What is your goal in doing the course / getting the qualification? This is fundamental to being able to make any recommendations taht you will find useful.

Other things to consider:
    Do you intend to work while studying?
    Are you hoping for faster career progression?
    Are you looking for something specific to testing / IT?
    Are you looking for a Speciality qualification like Finance or Telecommunications for intance?
    How quickly do you want to achieve it?
    How serious do you want the course to be?
    Fee paying?
    Where are you based / Are you willing to travel around the UK?

(One other possibility with no offense intended - Are you planning to come to the UK from somewhere else as a student or are you already based here?)

If you can answer some of those for us I am sure we can help.

cheers,
    Martin
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i am interested in tester qualification due to the following reasons:
    1- in my country no qualification for QA
    2- i want to do master from England / scotland then apply for fresh talent scheme to hunt for tester jobs in uk.
    3- after getting reasonable experience from uk i can come back in my own country.
    The only little bit relevant course i found was MSc Software Engieering what do u people think is it relevant ?
    or i should search some other course
    One more thing i want to know that what is the scope of MBIT Doing Master in Business Information Technology from Manchester metropolitan university ?
    regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To try and keep all the thoughts linked, I'll follow your bullet points.

1) No country really has a QA qualification that is taken especially seriously. In the UK itself, the ISEB / ISTQB are considered the main certification standards for testing. IT degrees don't get that specific and tend to point to programming instead anyway.

2) I know the problem as I am doing something similar. I have come on a work permit though and don't need a Masters degree to apply. Have a look online for HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) on UK gov websites.

I would say that it would be NEARLY impossible to study a Masters Degree of any merit AND work in a serious IT job (not knowing you you may be better able to handle the time and workload than I). Most companies expect at least a 9 or 10 hour day (only paying for 8 though) and that plus travel doesnt leave much energy for study. (I am currently studying a Master of Applied Finance degree and its killing me quickly)

Also, a Masters will be worth nothing for job hunting in testing here. However, if it was in something like Finance then you could get into the banking industry slightly more easily. Most weight will still be applied to your experience levels though rather than academic interests so taht is the place to focus your energies.

3) That is my goal too - sort of. I don't need the experience all taht much at home as I had worked there for 10 years. We are doing it for the exchange rate to save for a house back home. Similar concept though I think. More power to you!

not sure about the MBIT. Sorry. I hope the rest has been of some help though. If you want me to expand on anything then let me know.

cheers,
    martin
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i have check the HSMP i get 55 points while requirment is 70 points i am lacking due to pay and nill experience in UK categories. there fore HSMP option is not possible.
    what else r u working in a software house or do u know that what is the market here for testers?
    is there any other way to come ?
    what about doing MBA ?
    is this a good option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think you need to check the HSMP again. The criteria was changed before Christmas and experience is nolonger a major factor (believe it or not).

Now it is: Academic qualification, income, age, and time in UK. Thats about it

You can do an MBA but DEFINITELY make sure it is a strong one from the list of HSMP approved ones. Essentially an MBA can be seen as a waste of time (My lecturers called it a degree in Whiteboard management) but it would be a real shame if it didnt get you approved to enter the UK either.

check the uk gov website again for the HSMP rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1- how is the market here for testers ?
    2- r u working in software house ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

my HSMP Score

YOU HAVE SCORED 55 POINTS

35 points for your education
    0 points for having a UK qualification
    20 points for your age
    0 points for your earnings
    0 points for having an MBA from a prestiguous university
    SORRY, BUT YOU NEED 75 POINTS TO QUALIFY [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, being under 27, you COULD do an MBA (from the UK gov's approved list) OR you could get yourself sponsored by a UK based umbrella organisation.
    There are a LOT of them out there and they will sponsor you for a fee of approx 500 - 1000. I will not name any here as
    a) I dont want to advertise and
    b) you would be better served to find one specific to helping people from your own country.

For example the companies that help Australians are a lot different to those that help Americans.

This is WAY cheaper and easier than comiting to do a long Masters Degree that you won't find particularly useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you did the sponsorship thing then you could find a contract here and achieve points on earnings (up to about 45 points) and also on UK experience (5points) after about 6 months to a year. Then you could do the HSMP application and switch over.

By the way, you only get 30points for a bachelors degree, you said 35 which is the points for a normal Masters degree that doesnt meet the HSMP A list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast