Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Career Path for Sr QA Engineer

Since most of us reading this forum have extensive experience as a QA professional I am curious what a typical career path might be .... My history is as follows - I have worked as QA team lead, Sr QA Engineer in the IT industry with fortune 500 companies for the past 7+ years. I do have a CSTE and some other small tech certifications but I am looking to broaden my skillset in order to migrate to a management track. I am planning to pursue a Project Management cert in the next 4-5 months also. QUESTION -- have any of you found yourself in the position of being 35+ yrs of age with a similar background ....that being a rather narrow history in IT, mostly in the QA role....What types of paths are some of you looking for, QA manager positions, Project Managers, etc....Are there paths that I am not aware ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Career Path for Sr QA Engineer

If you take a look at the chat forum you will see a thread based on people's background and how we ended up in testing. Maybe that will enlighten or depress you, depending on where you are headed, but it will at least demonstrate that there is no typical career path. However, you don't sound as though you have had such back luck in QA.

Step 1: Take stock of what you have accomplished in the past 7 years. Always operate from strength and build on that strength when possible. You are a QA lead / Sr. QA, and either you already have a background in managing people or you should try to develop those skills first.

Step 2: If you are thinking PMP, my suggestion is to check out www.cheetahpm.com to learn about the prerequisites for becoming PMI certified. I don't know your educational background but at least you can establish an #-year plan to get there. You do not simply get that in 4-5 months, you have to be qualified with specific prerequisites.

Step 3: List the different opportunities you may want to consider. You already noted QA manager, PM, and probably management in general. Identify the prerequisites and what you lack to be able to apply for the jobs you want. Consider alternative jobs like developer, architect, business analyst, or any other jobs you fancy: don't eliminate any out of hand.

You are ONLY 35 years young, for crying out loud, so you have about 30+ years of career ahead of you. Doesn't it make sense to carefully explore your options to see what sort of works makes you happy? Who cares if it is not the most prestige, if you enjoy yourself that is worth a lot more.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank You Frits - i appreciate the advice and the pep talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by baxtersdad:
    ..... QUESTION -- have any of you found yourself in the position of being 35+ yrs of age with a similar background ....that being a rather narrow history in IT, mostly in the QA role....What types of paths are some of you looking for, QA manager positions, Project Managers, etc....Are there paths that I am not aware ?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">The company I am working for has a SQA Career Path Matrix (CPM) all the way to Sr. QA Director.

After having worked as a Test Lead one of your next goals could be to become a Test Manager.

Then... I have also worked as an Assistant Test Director (for a large Gvnmt contract) and QA Director (for a software company).

Also, our current Program Director used to be a QA Manager, before he made the switch to Program Management.

I often meet IT people in more senior roles, who have had a QA role at an earlier point in their career, but are now successful doing something else (i.e. Development, Project Management, etc.)

There career path of a QA professional can be very interesting.

Good luck,
    Elfriede

[ 04-30-2005, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: Elfriede Dustin ]