Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Free Seminar by Dr. Magdy Hanna - Vancouver B.C.

Disciplined Software Testing Practices
    By Dr. Magdy Hanna
    in cooperation with
    Mercury-Interactive
    The Seminar is being held on April 24, 2003
    from 8:30 to 12:00 p.m. at
    The Hilton Vancouver Metrotown, B.C.
    Following the seminar, there will be a Q&A session.
    Registration and continental breakfast will start 7:30 a.m. http://softdim.com/iist/FreeSeminar-Vancouver.htm
    International Institute for Software Testing

Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Free Seminar by Dr. Magdy Hanna - Vancouver B.C.

So is someone going to go and come back here and give us a review?

------------------
    -- Jean

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    Margaret Mead
    Jean James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Great! We'll be looking forward to a review.

------------------
    -- Jean

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world.
    Margaret Mead
    Jean James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am!

------------------
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So, attended the seminar today. To be honest, I went in VERY skeptical. I was sure this was simply going to be an ad for the Software Testing Professional Week. There was actual content! Dr. Hanna provided great coverage on a systematic approach for deriving test cases from requirements. He was keen for audience input and keen to give us as much information as possible. While I agreed with his methodologies, I tend to think that some would be difficult to implement in real world software shops. Before I could, someone else asked his thoughts on James Bach and exploratory testing. I personally think Dr. Hanna's and James Bach's methods could complement each other very well. I'm not sure Dr. Hanna felt that way.

Some useful hints to all - IIST puts out "The Journal of Software Testing" quarterly and it's free! Also, Dr. Hanna did not realize how cost-prohibitive IIST courses were for Canadians - it was possible for seminar attendees to receive a 20% discount if they sign up for the Testing Weeks via the web - with a special code. I'm unsure about posting the code here so contact IIST directly concerning discounts.
    The reason there was no feedback on the Toronto seminar is because there was no Toronto seminar - due to low registration numbers. Vancouver was almost cancelled - only 20 people were signed up by yesterday afternoon but about 45 showed up.

I was very skeptical of IIST as a whole before I attended this seminar. I just had to wonder "who are these people and why does certification from them matter to anyone?" Dr. Hanna has taught at the university level and there are some well respected people involved in the organization, including qaforums' own Ross Collard and Elfriede Dustin. And Boris Beizer's on the Journal's Editorial Review Board! I have to say I believed Dr. Hanna when he said that education is the most important reason for starting the IIST.

Will I go for certification through IIST? Even with the 20% discount, courses are still $657/day (if I do all 5 days and register early, more if I do less than 5 days). My company's on budget and my rule of thumb for asking for education funds is to first decide whether I'd be willing to spend my own money on it. And I wouldn't - for $200 less, I can take a course at BCIT, which is more widely recognized by employers here and can lead to a Bachelors (okay it's not a testing course but they will be offering testing courses soon). And you don't have to renew one of those every 3 years. That being said, if my company were richer than God, than I probably would be requesting funds to attend.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Plummi (edited 04-25-2003).]
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Plummi,
    Thanks for coming back and giving us a recap. I had not known the other one was cancelled.

Yes, the cost of the IIST classes are rather high for US people as well. Many traing budgets are being cut in the couple of years making it very difficult for us to attend quality classes and seminars such as Dr. Hanna's.

------------------
    -- Jean

Margaret Mead
    Jean James