Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why can\'t CSTE make the exam as widely available as other Certification?

Why can't CSTE make the exam as widely available as other Certification like Oracle or MSCE? Plus the exam time is not so convinient where candidates have to arrive 30 min prior to the exam time which 8:00 on most of the schedules. To come cities, that is the peak time to hit the traffic. Does anyone know if these certifications plan to have a more flexible time.

Why can't they have it on Vue or Prometric?

I am not whinning, just asking a question.

------------------
    How many ways can I break your code
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Why can\'t CSTE make the exam as widely available as other Certification?

There are a limited number of proctors to host the test, and there are a limited number of graders to grade the test.

I'm taking the CSTE in 2 weeks, and although it isn't a long drive for me, I'd have driven up to 4 hours to get there should the location have been placed that far away. I know of one person who flew out of town just to take the exam.

If it appears that the exam sittings offerings are really that far away and few between, you might want to stop by the site and send them a note and ask about their plans for the future. http://softwarecertifications.com/

------------------
    -- Jean
    There are no failures.
    There are only extended learning opportunities.
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't know much about this certification, but I went to the web site and looked for locations where the test is given, and what I found made me wonder if this certificate is a joke. I work in the San Francisco Bay Area and I assumed I'd have to go down to somewhere in Silicon Valley to take this kind of test. Instead, there is apparently only one test site in California, in some little town between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe called El Dorado Hills. What, are we supposed to take the test on our way to the ski resorts?

Seriously, was I looking in the wrong place? Is El Dorado Hills actually a hotbed of the computer software industry? These test sites make this sound like a very small time operation.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Michele2 (edited 03-05-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanj:

I'm taking the CSTE in 2 weeks, and although it isn't a long drive for me, I'd have driven up to 4 hours to get there should the location have been placed that far away.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wish you all the best of lucks. You are so dedicated, you will make it. So you have to start driving to the exam center at around 2:00AM? Most of the exam started around 8:00 AM.

I believed a lot of candidates have made bunch of suggestions already. Their schedule really a joke. Our company actually plan to send mostly everyone for this certification, but just after knowing the schedule, we gave it a second thought. We are even planning of moving to other certification if their CBOK fit with us.

------------------
    How many ways can I break your code
    ================================
    IBM Certified Database Administrator
    Sun Certified Java Programmer
    Oracle Certified Associate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd have to agree with at least the sentiments being expressed. Prior to this year, the CSTE could be taken at a number of external testing centers, allowing for a great deal of flexibility in dates and locations. While I can understand the issues that QAI was having with grading and the like, it is difficult to imagine they do not see the dilemma in these sorts of situations. In many cases, QAers are getting these certifications on their own time and money, as opposed to company money, and to add a flight or long distance drive into the equation is expecting a bit much, especially when it used to be far more available.

Additionally, for companies that are considering certifying entire departments or groups, it is prohibitive to send large groups over great distance.

I personally think it was poorly thought-out on their part, and have seen a number of comments to the effect that there are no plans to change it anytime soon.

------------------
    ~ Annemarie Martin ~
    annemarie[dot]martin2[at]verizon[dot]net

~ So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts - what's so amazing about really deep thoughts? ~ Tori Amos
    Annemarie Martin
    Secretary
    Association for Software Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I got on the QAI site myself and did a little browsing for info. They do say that they formerly gave 80 tests a year. 2002 shows that 41 will be given. And they'll be given every three months. Here's a couple of the things they have on the site.

"The number of examination dates has been reduced. Examinations will now be available four times a year on regularly scheduled dates, as well as at major conference venues. There were 80 different scheduled examinations during 2001, placing an excessive burden on the capacity of Software Certifications staff. Reducing the number of schedulings will allow for a more robust process with greater process control; thus reducing the opportunities for error and improving the value of all of the certifications."

"The examination hosting and proctoring processes was rewritten. Most of the organizations that have hosted examinations in the past will be able to continue to do so in the future, but the documentation and pre-planning that is required has changed significantly."

------------------
    -- Jean
    There are no failures.
    Jean James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by E-Quality:
    Wish you all the best of lucks. You are so dedicated, you will make it. So you have to start driving to the exam center at around 2:00AM? Most of the exam started around 8:00 AM.

I believed a lot of candidates have made bunch of suggestions already. Their schedule really a joke. Our company actually plan to send mostly everyone for this certification, but just after knowing the schedule, we gave it a second thought. We are even planning of moving to other certification if their CBOK fit with us.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No no, I didn't mean that I have to drive far, just that I would if I did have to. I would not put out airfare to get there, but a tank of gas and Motel 6 would be in my budget. (NON-reimbursable)

Fortunately for me, I have about a 15 minute drive. Other than QAI's desire to get their workload lowered, I don't understand why they picked the locations and dates that they did. I assume that the locations are near the federation chapters. Does anyone know for sure if that's true?

------------------
    -- Jean
    There are no failures.
    Jean James