Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Who has got the ISEB testing qualification?

Just out of interest really, how many people on this forum have the ISEB software testing cert, and what do they think of it?

Jonno

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Who has got the ISEB testing qualification?

The ISEB foundation course is a good starter course, though there's lots to go through in such a short time.
    Basically you'll learn the correct terms for the testing that you're already doing, which is always good when you go for that next job and want to talk the talk, and it'll help you see a wider range of issues instead of the ones that you're usually knee deep in.
    3 days, just over a grand, not a bad investment, though the ISEB Practitioner is the one that looks the most beneficial (read: best for CV) for the tester, but you
    need the foundation first.
    Is it recognised? Well, it is highly recognised in my company, a pass increases your salary, and it does increase your efficiency too as an added bonus.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry didn't make myself very clear! I passed the ISEB exam a couple of months ago, after studying a CD based course, which ended up costing just under 500. I just wondered how many testers had taken the exam, and did it have any positive (or negative) effects on thier job

Merry christmas by the way

Jonno

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It is part of every member of our test group's objectives to become ISEB certified. The old hands breezed through it, the newer members had some difficulty, with two of my team needing three attempts.

No, it doesn't give them any salary/career benefits, but it does ensure we have a common understanding.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It has had a positive effect for a newbie to testing, having been 'encouraged' to transfer into testing from the COBOL arm of the old Micro Focus group.

Working in the South West of England, once we passed the course (those of us that did so 7 out of 9) we all got pay rises. In the web based department (my case) 10% was the norm, but that was not only due to the course, but having to work v.long hours to keep a major client happy and was also a "thank you" from the bosses.

The course was an eye-opener and as someone above mentioned, helped with the terminology and provided an excellent platform to build upon.

When applying for new jobs (made redundant in May 2001)the 3 interviews I attended ALL stipulated they wanted ISEB qualification. " of the interviews spent a bit of time asking about the course, benefits etc. I subsequently got offered all 3 jobs.

My present firm wanted to send some people on the course, but as yet haven't due to the fact that they think 1 0r 2 of them might leave once ISEB qualified.

The practioner level sounds the one to go for now, but i think that's still in it's infancy.

Spending 500 to do the ISEB qualification in your own time, I think is a very shrewd move. Hope you emphasize this on your CV and elaborate further in the interviews. In the UK it's often seen as a 'must' for testers.

si

if anyone wants a pdf of the course, let me know

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

All the testers in the company (which numbered 8 then) took the course in the middle of last year, and all passed the exam. It was very easy and reflected the type of testing techniques and theory that we have been following for years anyway.
    The only reason we didn't get 100% (and maybe why some fail) is that the questions are deliberatley designed to be very generic, some would say misleading!

The examiner said that the questions were designed to reflect poor information from the customer, Requirements documents with little detail in them etc. I would argue that if that happens, you don't assume and carry on regardless, the job of a good QA would be to ask questions and find out exactly what is required!

Anyway, after we passed, there was no pay increase, and since then 4 of the testers have been made redundant, happily I am not one of them :-)

I have noticed on the Testing job sites over the past few months that a lot of testing roles are asking for testers who are ISEB certified, so it probably is worth having the certificate in the long run.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have my CSTE certification, but I have not heard of ISEB before. Where can I go for additional information?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The ISEB exam details can be found on the British Computer Societies site
    www.bcs.org.uk

Follow the qualifications link

Jonno

------------------