Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

manual testing -career advice

I need career advice. I am very interested in a QA/Software Testing position, but my experience is in manual testing of a proprietary system. Therefore, I am finding it impossible to find a position for which I am qualified. It seems that most companies want you to be a functional expert at one of their programs or have experience with the automated testing tools. I have neither, but
    I am very good at manual testing and am a quick learner so I could be trained easily on a new system &/or testing tools. Does anyone hire manual and functional testers from the outside? Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

------------------
    MM
    MM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: manual testing -career advice

Hi, MM.

This is a tough problem that many testers I've worked with and been friends with run into. We are almost all trained manually first, and then everyone wants experience on automated tools.

There are several things you could do. First, be sure you're marketing your manual skills well, based on what the companies are looking for. Even if your system was proprietary, you probably have a lot of the skills they're looking for. And there is still some market for manual testers, but it may not be at the level that you'd like... Generally, at least where I am, manual testers are considered fairly entry level.

The other option is to at least get some beginning experience with automated tools. Mercury offers training courses on WinRunner and LoadRunner, and I'm sure the other automated tools folks do, too. If you get some experience in that, you can include that in your resume and it may help to get you where you'd like to be.

Also, if you are working now, talk to your manager about bringing automation on there, and you can get the training and work all at once.

------------------
    Annemarie

"I realize it's an error, but no one is going to try to do that!" From "Top 10 Stupid Comments from Developers"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: manual testing -career advice

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MM:
    I need career advice. I am very interested in a QA/Software Testing position, but my experience is in manual testing of a proprietary system. Therefore, I am finding it impossible to find a position for which I am qualified. It seems that most companies want you to be a functional expert at one of their programs or have experience with the automated testing tools. I have neither, but
    I am very good at manual testing and am a quick learner so I could be trained easily on a new system &/or testing tools. Does anyone hire manual and functional testers from the outside? Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks for your reply!

------------------
    MM
    MM