Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Smile Job Discontinuance and Continued Quality Assurance Software Training

Hi everyone!!

I need some advise and help in regards to continuing my education. Last week, I got laid off from a large financial firm. I was a Quality Assurance Analyst for the past ten years. Here is the problem, the bank that I worked for was so in the stone age, it was ridiculous! We did all manual testing and never used SQL. After posting my resume on Monster, come to realize that companies now want Automated testing knowledge.

Can anyone tell me where I could get SQL, Loadrunner, QTP and maybe some additional QA training online? And at a low cost of course, since I"m currently not employed. I really appreciate any feedback as I am lost in the dark and need to amp up my career.

Thank you so much everyone!!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi, Dee,

First up, do you want to automate? Test automating is code - not every tester wants that, and not every tester should want it. Manual testing is never going away, and there is employment for manual testers. It's just not "sexy" and too many places seem to think all it takes is the ability to follow directions (the fools... Anyone can follow directions. The ability to say "that's odd..." and chase down what's going on is rare and valuable).

That said, here are some suggestions for you:

Loadrunner and QTP aren't likely, since both are expensive tools. SQL, you can do a lot with Microsoft's SQL Server Express edition (free) and the online help for it. MySQL is another very good database that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Selenium is a very popular free tool for automated testing of web applications, and has a fair amount of demand.

Good luck with your job hunt.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    W3School than SQLZoo.net is good point to start with SQL. Don't think too much for DB2,oracle,mysql,sqlserver etc in intial stage. SQL is more than sufficient for beginning.

QTP - Do a QTP Tutorial from help file. Learn VBScript from W3School and try to build few program with that.
    Few Finance certification also will be good I guess ,whatever align with your banking domain like in mutual fund, equity and secondary market, portfolio management etc.

Youtube video is also good for QTP and SQL.

Which country you are based in?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Besides playing skill catch-up. If I were in your shoes, I'd also try creating a resume that's geared more towards management and process expertise. 10 years is a lot of time, there's a lot of experience in process knowledge, risk analysis, test lead/planning aspects that more junior people who are completing with you just don't have. I'd start with marketing with test management and product planning experience. Not just being the guy that test, but the guy who can help design the product, and put together the engineering process to make it work.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Dee,

Think of different suitable roles like a QA Lead/QA Manager/Business Analyst as you have very good experience.

If you are looking for specialized automation trainings visit QA-Masters | Training | Services | Consulting | Online Training | Training in Bangalore and choose your training

Contact us at Training@qa-masters.com if you are intrested to join us for testing business trainings/services

Regards

Mohan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Job Discontinuance and Continued Quality Assurance Software Training

I'm a long time manual tester who is getting dragged into automation, along with the rest of the manual testers i work with. It helps that our management is supportive of our learning curve, and we are getting some agile/pair programming help from some of our developers.
    However, when you're unemployed, it's hard to suggest pair programming, since you've no one to pair with. And every company seems to use a different language, so i can't suggest that you pick a language and learn it, but some variation of C - C++ or C# would probably be a good idea if your local community college has any courses. And SQL is used by a lot of companies, so that's good to know. Selenium is good, but may be hard to learn on your own. Do you have a local SQA association that meets regularly? That's good for networking. Perhaps you can find a company that will take you on as a manual tester, but allow you to learn automation on the job. Automation is the way the SQA field is going, like it or not. Best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I would sit with another person and explain what you did on your old job. I'm guessing that it seemed old fashoned and backward, but you can re-word it to sound modern.

A book that I have followed on this topic is What Color is Your Parachute.

I'd take a look at in the library. It is good at giving examples of how to match what you wish to do with what companies are doing.

I would try to get a QA job. It is is automated, look at the existing work and ask questions. If it is manual and you think automation would be useful to them, you may want to bring in HP to do a presentation.

On the Selenium side you can use Meetup.com to find a local user group. Maybe attend some meetings and look for a Selenium person who your company could bring in on an hourly basis to show you how to proceed.

Some people can study programming on their own from scratch. I'm not one of them. I get awfully annoyed when I don't know where to start and do not know what the main direction is supposed to be.