Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Books on Quality Assurance?

There are lots of books on programming and some books on requirements engineering.

Some books exist about testing, for example books about JUnit. But they cover only a few aspects of Quality Assurance.

I have seen no books on Quality Assurance in general. I mean, where is a book which describes the big picture and how all fits together? Are there any?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Books on Quality Assurance?

Here are books I have on my shelf.
    Many of them are books on QA in general:
    http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/5...Bookshelf.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Here are books I have on my shelf.
    Many of them are books on QA in general:
    http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/5...Bookshelf.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, thank you. I will look through them.

What I am looking for is not to read lots of books but a kind of standard work on software testing. It should not be too old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yup.

Hopefully, the titles will allow you to focus on just a few.
    And the full descriptions on Amazon will allow you to decide if it is standard enough for you, and new enough.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Every author thinks that he or she has written the last word on a subject. So looking for "a kind of standard work on software testing" is always going to be subjective.

For one thing, the field is so huge, that no single book can possibly cover all of it. Would you expect a "standard" book to cover the various techniques for testing a full-blown ERP system, Quicken for Windows, A cell phone, Windows Vista Ultimate, the computer used in a modern automobile, and a Wii, for example?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think people should discern between yet-another-testing-book and a masterpiece.

I can browse myself a dozens of titles...

Here I hoped that someone recommends me one book or maximum a few, which are still available, not too old and a masterpiece on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Since everyone learns a little differently, the various titles listen seem a good starting spot. I have many (note multiple!) of the books in the the lists Joe created, and the link provided by Turbografx.

Elfriede's books are excellent.

Gerry Weinberg's books are excellent.

Kaner's books - the ones I have read - are excellent.

Rex Black's book on Managing the Testing Process (as opposed to Testing) is very good.

Between them, they provide a solid foundation. Is there a single cononical volume? No. How could there be?

Because something is "old" does no mean it is out of date. I'm not certain what the limit of "too old" is. I do know that if you are looking for a "how to" book, there is not a single volume that can be everything that every software tester or Quality professional would desire.

I'd also add these:

Go Rin No Sho, by Musashi, this has been translated into several languages. I have two copies in English translation - slightly different, but very interesting.

The Art of War, by Sunzi/Sun-tzu is also available in several languages.

They are about planning,