Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How long to wait after an interview before posting questions?

I was just asked about 8 really good QTP/UFT and Selenium Questions. I did not know the answers to most. How long do I wait to post them? Is there any etiquette?

Thanks,

Kevin
    When in Florida, Don't Tampa with the code. I made this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by bklabel1 View Post
    I was just asked about 8 really good QTP/UFT and Selenium Questions. I did not know the answers to most. How long do I wait to post them? Is there any etiquette?

Thanks,

Kevin
    As someone who conducts interviews I would rather never have my questions posted. This just forces me to change my interview on a regular basis. Having noted that, I do seed false interview questions with false answers on forums around the internet and then use those questions as control questions during screening to see if people are bringing their A game or just studying questions and answers off of websites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    JPully,
    I hope that I never use one of your answers for something that I am working on. My framework or what ever I'm doing could wind up messed up. It reminds me of when I see the surveyors leave their equipment unattended. i wonder what would happen if someone put a dime under one of the legs of the tripod. Would the building come out crooked?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    The false answers are only on sites dedicated to the downloading of interview questions. They only reference performance testing and performance engineering. They are never posted under my own name. So, you are probably safe.

In the performance field we face a problem with about 30% outright fraudulent resumes. This includes fraudulent Linkedin profiles and use of firms to provide references which are paid for services versus natural coworkers. 60% of the remaining candidate pool have compromised foundation skills - no formal training or mentoring in the field with low value in the output. You can recognize a lot of these after hiring as they are the performance testers who never ask for requirements before starting the test design, don't include checks for expected results, no monitoring and simply provide a tool report with no analysis at the end of testing. I have colleagues who have received their own resumes back with others names at the top. I have two colleagues who have received my resume with different names at the top. The high fraud problem has required a different interview starategy.

The questions are seeded to make it easier to find out who knows their stuff versus who are simply downloading answers from the internet and memorizing them. We have also caught particular recruiters who are feeding the same sites to their candidates to study before interviewing. Find several of those in sequence and the recruiter gets blackballed with a detailed description as to why.

If you want unvarnished insight without the shading to check for fraud then you are welcome to tune into the PerfBytes podcast (PerfBytes | Helping IT Professionals to Improve Performance Practices) which has been running for over four years covering various performance topics.

As to the sharing of the interview questions. Until the interview is over you are potentially educating your competition as to the nature of the questions. You did not benefit from advance warning so they are likely to do better than you in the interview as a result.

From an employer and interview perspective, if I found a candidate had shared my questions after the interview then this would certainly be part of the evaluation on whether they would be carried forward in the process, for they have just made my interview process more complex and difficult. You would be surprised how often Google query responses come into play on interviews. Several years ago I had a great interview with a candidate. The person was articulate, technically adept, seemed well mannered and quick on their feet. Then I found their myspace page where they celebrated their latest work on throwing fecal bombs at a g8 conference, diatribes against capitalism & private ownership, and limericks about their current & prior bosses. Needless to say, they were not carried forward as part of the selection process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    jpulley3,

I appreciate the information from your experiences. It makes sense to me.

I can see how it can be tempting to be fraudulent when looking for work. I keep getting calls for technology I happened to have not worked with. Twenty years ago it took years for a new automation method to appear. Now it is months or weeks. I will be on a project becoming an expert at something. Then I reach the end of the six months and the interviewers are asking me if I know something completely different and speak as though the new tool has been around for 5 years. I explain that I know automation in general but I have not worked with this yet. I'm sure I can learn it because of my background in general but they have no interest unless i know something specific. I have been able to keep working by using what I know and keep learning new things along the way. Sometimes there has been such a huge shift that I almost was pushed out of the workforce. One time was when I was a dBase Clipper programmer. Visual Basic came along. I took classes as fast as I could but nobody would give me the first contract. I like to learn material on my own but besides work I also like to do other things like see movies and exercise and be with friends. After 30 + years of finding work I can see why people get annoyed with working and don't care about faking their resume.

This is a true but funny story on the topic:
    A recruiter asked me if I knew VBScript, UFT, ALM and the areas that I am comfortable with. I said yes to everything which was true.
    Then they asked if by any chance I knew Mandarin Chinese. I said I have been studying it for the past 9 years as a hobby and I can speak and comprehend. I thought wow so far I must be ahead of a lot of people. What is the chance of an American English candidate knowing how to also speak Mandarin.
    The next question was if I can read and write Mandarin. I said that I learned Mandarin from audio information. The recruiter said "oh they expect the person to also be literate." I was curious if I said yes if the next question would be if I had a Nobel prize and an Olympic medal.

I'm more on the functional side of testing. I know two sources of candidates for automation. One is a small company named Forest. The other is a friend in NYC who has been on several LR projects. I can pass the leads to you if you want them.

Thanks,

Kevin