Thread: Salary Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Salary Question

I am by no means a technologically advanced QA engineer but I have recently been pondering my current salary and when or if to ask for a raise. When I was hired on it was a mentorship plan to eventually transfer from QA into full time engineer. I had zero QA or engineer experience when hired. I have now been running QA alone for a little over a year and I am very close to having the framework set up for moving our tests to automation, when I started our tests were copied to a spreadsheet every week and manually ran and recorded there. My coding experience is still quite limited to HTML, CSS, and PHP as that's what we are using to power Selenium. My current salary is 35,000 and the job is in central Indiana. I'm mainly wondering if the improvements to the QA role justify a raise or if there is a certain point where I would be considered a QA automation engineer and maybe then ask for a raise. Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Blog Entries
    My advice would be to make three jumps each with a salary of 35,000 more. Stay at each place for no more than a year with out a big raise.
    Go from 35,000 to 70,000 to 105,000 to 140.
    I don't think that this is unreasonable.
    it is possible with technology changing so rapidly that what you mentored in for the past year wont exist in 4 years from now.
    If you want yet more money move to a higher paying place.
    Don't feel badly if you encounter some awful projects. It happens about 25% of the time.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    When in Florida, Don't Tampa with the code. I made this up.