Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interviewing for a management position

Hello everyone.

I have an upcoming series of interviews for a test manager position. This company currently does not have a test department. I will be in charge of forming a new testing department and this role will likely lead to an executive position there. I will be interviewing with the CIO and CEO.

I have been a test manager but have not had to interview for that role. I was promoted into the the role.

How can I best prepare for this type of interview? What types of questions are asked of test manager candidates? What types of questions should I ask them?

If I knew more about there internal infrastructure, it would be easier to present a potential game plan for the new department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interviewing for a management position

What is the difference between your role as a Test Manager, and the new role you are trying to fill?

Here are a few thoughts about your questions...

Prepare by reviewing your past work as Test Manager. Try to recall the kinds of things you did, and particularly why you did them that way. Think about the kinds of Test Department staffing and structural decisions you made in the past, and how they might apply to this new position.

Don't forget to learn as much as you can about this company, and about the people interviewing you, ahead of time. This will at least demonstrate that you are interested, and will potentially allow you to ask and answer questions better.

When interviewing a potential Test Manager, I like to ask questions trying to see
    - Are you a hands-on, or hands-off Manager?
    - What do you look for in candidates you hire?
    - How do you work with other departments?
    - Do you view QA/Test as a gatekeeper role, or something else?
    - What will be difficult for you? What would you need to learn to succeed in this new role?
    - What will you do first, once in this new role?
    - You will be entering a company that doesn't have a test department. What do you see as obstacles to success?
    - How do you go about hiring, training, ans scheduling testers?

Questions you might want to ask:
    - Why did the company not have a test department before?
    - What has changed to require a test department now?
    - How do other departments feel about this new role?
    - What are the expectations of this new role?
    - What kind of budget/resources will you get?
    - Is this new role expected to be hands-off, or hands-on?
    - What do you expect the new hire to have accomplished at the end of the first 3 months? 1 year?
    - What is the reporting structure for Test with respect to Dev, and other departments?
    - Is all the testing expected to be done internally? Outsourced? Contractors vs Full-timers?
    - How do the CIO and CEO view the quality being produced currently? What about other departments?

This might help, too:
    http://www.allthingsquality.com/2010...checklist.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you. You are a lifesaver. The best minty kind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The new role will be developing a new department with the CIO and CEO. The role I took on was already existing. I will end up as the Director of this department.

I had better get back to my study and preparations. I will let you know how it went and the type of questions they did ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Your ability to deal with customers, solve problems, be adaptable etc. All these are transferable skills no matter what environment you worked in before. Look at manager skills such as decision-making, delegation and motivation and try to think of examples of when you displayed these skills in your previous positions.