| || |
College courses for Automation position
Imagine yourself hiring a new graduate, no job experience, for a QA Automation Engineer or Software Engineer in Test position.
Which college courses would you like to see on their resume?
Test Automation Engineer I'd like to see..
* Basic programming language course (preferable in your tool of choice)
* Automata or Language processing (since testing you tend to passing values across programming boundries, parsing and verifying transformed strings is important)
* Linear algebra (Sometimes conditional logic is chained, nested, and arranged in different ways, one must make sure they acheive their intended effect. ex: (B || C) && A vs. B || C && A. )
* Lower division database course (SQL and other relational databases are pretty common)
Software Engineer in test I'd like to see the above plus...
* UML and Software design course (lots of design and documentation)
* Software programming patterns. (designing frameworks and test harnesses need to follow good programming patterns)
* Undergrad level course in software security. (Adding test hooks can potentially create security holes)
* Upper division Software engineering course.
* Parallel programming (I spend alot of time thinking of how to run tests concurrently and designing for that)
This looks like a good list, but you should be able to hire someone with none of these and still mentor them in the right direction pretty quickly, if the candidate has the right attitude. Just my personal opinion.
I think these technical skills are more than enough for hiring tester.Apart from technically I will also see his personal skills to hire.
Originally Posted by dlai
Hands-on experience with automation testing tools, understanding of test data requirements, system architecture concepts, and various types of system databases
- Ability to design and engineer automation tests
- Experience designing and coding high efficiency tests for scalable, distributed, multi-tiered, fault-tolerant web applications in a .NET/Windows environment
- Coding experience in C# and ASP.NET
Experience developing and executing automated test scripts using automation test or tools like Quick Test Professional (QTP), Selenium or ITKO - LISA
- 5+ years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
This post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
Originally Posted by brknny