Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing without a Test plan and Test strategy?

How to do testing without Test plan and Test strategy?

Regard's
    lakshmi kanth reddy

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing without a Test plan and Test strategy?

Hi
    consider we are working on a project without Test plan and Test strategy ,what are the outcomes we face during the project,if any one knows share your experiences ...

Thank's
    lakshmi kanth reddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing without a Test plan and Test strategy?

[ QUOTE ]
    what are the outcomes we face during the project

[/ QUOTE ]
    The possible outcomes range from confusion and utter failure, to complete success.

How did you answer during your interview?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I guess lakshmi kanth's question had to do with exploratory testing. If you are testing with out a test plan (and test cases, presumably), I would assume you would have to do a lot of adhoc testing to figure out the issues with the application.
    My ASQ Certified Software Quality Engineer (CSQE) Certification training batch is starting on July 11 2016. Details and 6 VERIFIABLE RECOMMENDATIONS for my training at www.facebook.com/PickTechnologies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I don't think we can start testing without test plan and test strategies.It would be probably waste of time and ending up with failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by koolgr View Post
    I guess lakshmi kanth's question had to do with exploratory testing. If you are testing with out a test plan (and test cases, presumably), I would assume you would have to do a lot of adhoc testing to figure out the issues with the application.
    Although this is a reply to a very old thread, I'm going to pick up on it because this explanation could confuse newer testers.

Exploratory testing is not unplanned testing, and is not necessarily testing without test cases. Exploratory testing is learning about the application as you test it, and adjusting your tests and areas of focus as you learn. A test plan sets out who will test, when they will test, what test methodology they use, what parts of the application will be tested, what environment, what data set, etc, and this can easily encompass exploratory testing.

Test cases do not need to be lengthy step-by-step test scripts. Exploratory testing can use test cases that are simple checklists to keep track of the path through the system and what has been tested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Planning make a man perfect, without planning you will lose time,money and effort. Strategy is used to make testing simple and concise. Hence, planning and strategy make your work easier. so,never miss it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Without test plan strategy it would be waste of time as the results what you get can't be expected.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    How to do testing without Test plan and Test strategy?

Regard's
    lakshmi kanth reddy
    The saying go, if you don't plan you plan to fail.

When you have a strategy, you have consistent results. That's why it's needed.

When you don't plan, you don't identify all the upfront risks and the effort needed, then you're sort of left to the wind. You won't have any leverage when you're in a time crunch, and you'll get all the blame if there's a mistake even if it's not your fault. It's just the way things are.

My experience in my Jr years have been, when there isn't a test plan, you're going to be jumping through all the hoops the developers tell you. Say you get a late build, and the developer says he's concerned about X without saying why, you're stuck working through the night to test it all before the scheduled release day because you don't have an up front estimate of how much time you need allocated. Then when any bug is discovered, you won't have a test plan documenting what is "not tested". "Not tested" portion of a test plan is probably more important than what is tested. It provides management decision choices they need to help your team.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile