Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Job interview advice needed

First of all I apologize for my english! Hopefully you'll be able understand everything I've written.

I have a job interview tomorrow for a web applications tester's vacancy. It's very important that I get this job, so I want to be as prepared as I possibly can for this interview. Because of the state of the economy right now there are very few new vacancies in software testing field, and I only get invited to an interview only approx. once in a month..

On the previous time I went to interview thinking that I'm quite well prepared, but I wasn't able to frankly speak about my experience and education, and interviewers had to urge me by asking too many questions. To my surprise I also completely failed in quite simple test case design task..

I think the problem for my failure was that in the previous work place where I worked approx. 9 months we had very poor testing policies, i.e. we didn't write test cases, there weren't implemented almost anything what a proper testing department should have. Mainly I just went through documentation and checked if everything is working as it should. If there wasn't a documentation I just asked system analysts or coders. So I think this is why I wasn't able to answer successfully those questions and failed in test case design exercise in my previous interview. I have passed ISTQB certification exam on a very high percentage points, but I guess theoretical knowledge isn't enough..

So what would you advise me? Should I be honest and tell them about lack of modern and progressive testing policies and methods in my previous work place? I think that I should also practice test case design.. Can anybody share some links to test case design quizes?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Job interview advice needed

You can get started here:
    http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/4...ing+Terms.html

You can also check testinggeeks.com.

Also, make a list of questions from your previous interviews and find the answers for them.

Now, another problem you stated was that there were no or bad processes followed in your previous organization. So now read for the V-model (now called W-model) from the net and you should know what are a basic processes in a SDLC and also the Test Life-Cycle.

I think this should be good for a 1-2 year experienced person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Be honest. Tell them about the poor condition of the previous QA group and suggest that you were unhappy about it. List the things that were wrong and how you would correct them if you could. Try to give the impression that you would like to be associated with a quality minded company (this one I hope), where QA is appreciated and offers a chance to learn the correct way of performing QA testing. Then pray that this new company is not exactly like the old one.

Good Luck, but try to relax.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    On the previous time I went to interview thinking that I'm quite well prepared, but I wasn't able to frankly speak about my experience and education

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why not?

[ QUOTE ]
    I have passed ISTQB certification exam on a very high percentage points, but I guess theoretical knowledge isn't enough..

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
    So what would you advise me? Should I be honest

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes! Always be honest!
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ofcourse, always be honest.
    Be Confident, and study their requirement, understand what they are looking for and why did they pick you for an interview.
    Present yourself according to their requirement or the role they are looking for and highlight your knowledge and work in those areas and tell them how you feel to be possibly working for them and contribute more.