Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manually Testing on window operating system

Can you please help me what type of topics need to be covered when we are testing windows operating system.

I have an experiance in Functional testing(both client server and webapplication)

But i didn't have experiance in windows operating system. please share me how we can test operating level

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manually Testing on window operating system

By your question I can tell one item right off the bat, you have a challenge with thinking about testing in an abstract sense. Decouple what is testing from what you are testing. If you see testing as a process with specific components tied to that process, then the act of conducting a test for an operating system, an application, a client server application, a toothpick or a fuel injection system becomes a far simpler item.

I see this issue quite often in my interviews. I will ask candidates a set of questions relating to testing in general, including providing them with examples that are non-IT related, to see if they can spot the problems in the testing effort. I will ask them about the testing process independent of tools used. We will cover requirements on an IT independent basis. And then I will ask them the same questions in the context of IT and in the context of the tools in which they are familiar.

A good 80% of the students fail this portion of the exam. Instead of answering both the generic and the specific questions the same, they answer them in opposed forms, or worse yet they get both answers wrong! Testers need to be able to operate outside of the comfort zone of what they know, grounded by strong process. If they cannot then they will be management intensive, not autonomous in their testing acitivities and will eventually fail when confronted without something outside of their specific domain knowledge.

There is a cultural aspect to this which is based upon the education model that the candidate grew up with. Note, this is not county specific, but it is education model specific. If you have a candidate which has spent most of their educational experience in wrote memorization acivities, with little internal processing and lots of factual regurgitation, these candidates will generally fail to have developed skills in the abstract thought category which is why they fail the first set of questions on testing on a non-IT basis. Abstract thought follows very well with an educational model which is heavily based on an analytical model which requires the student to injest factual data, but then analyze and provide context and form to the data returned for examination by the instructor. It is this second form that produces candidates which are most likely to achieve success on the non-IT testing related questions and also to have the questions answered correctly for the IT ones.

So, having said all of this, I would encourage you to work on your critical thinking and analytical skills. Alongside this work approach testing on a process basis independent of what you are to test. If you can foster the latter two skills and the "vision" which accompanies them, then you will be able to approach almost any testing challenge and be able to see the path for OS testing and see that it not fundamentally different on a process basis from that of any other software testing.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes