Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA role in Waterfalls and Agile

Hello folks

Trying to prepare myself for an interview in a company that is shifting from Waterfalls to Agile environment.

I am looking to understand the differences between Waterfalls and Agile as far as QA concerned. Since each organization may not fully adhere to a certain methodology, or decide to adapt to one, some attributed maybe ommited. What I need to know are the sure-shot answers, which can be described as rule of thumb, of what QA does in Waterfalls and what QA does in Agile....step-by-step QA team responsibilities. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA role in Waterfalls and Agile

there's another post by aavins73 that mentions the QA deliverables in Waterfalls environment: Test Plan, Test Cases, Test Summary reports.

The way I understand this is in Agile environment, the QA has to plan and execute the tests for the next sprint as opposed to the entire project. The deliverables required of QA team are still the same: Test Plan, Test Cases, and Test Summary Reports. Am I missing anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Deliverables will be determined by sprint, work is typically done on the same sprint as the work is being done, in a perfect Agile world both Dev and QA are working together developing and testing at the same time. What's deliverable depends on what the Team determines is necessary documentation, one of the tenets of the Agile Manifesto, so this will change from company to company.

Have you done any research on what Agile is? I don't want to sound snarky, but your questions are pretty basic configuration of the teams and how they are organized. Waterfall is a very different methodology on many fronts, if you have not read through the Agile Manifesto or looked at some of the material on testing and Agile then I'd say start there and you'll find a wealth of information on the question you ask.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd recommend you go through "Testing Extreme Programming" by Lisa Crispin. It is a nice book and will give an insight to Agile Testing.

Thanks!