Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best Product Development Lifecycle for Schedule Driven Projects?

The Product Development Lifecycle that my company has in place is fairly generic (e.g. Commissioning of Project, Requirements Phase, Design Phase, Development Phase, Test Phase and finally Release to Production. It is acually referred to as a "framework" and is meant to be flexible. But for the all too common schedule driven projects, it seems that this generic lifecycle is challenged as inappropriate. I hear statements such as "this is a waterfall model and is not optimal for tightly scheduled projects".

So what models out there ARE optimized for schedule driven projects? I keep hearing about AGILE from our Engineering team. But I believe that methodology is specific to just the Development Phase of a PDL, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best Product Development Lifecycle for Schedule Driven Projects?

Answer to your last Q: Yes and No. Development as PHASE is present in waterfall. As far as I understand it - in agile this is not a phase, but a process. They donít plan by phases. They plan by features to be implemented. This way they try to optimize - only implementing what they can afford until the deadline.
    However there are no too much practices/studies regarding manual testing supporting agile development. The best I could suggest you is http://www.satisfice.com
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best Product Development Lifecycle for Schedule Driven Projects?

One thing that you can add is quality gates. Determine up front what is needed to pass to the next stage. Also determine what is considered a failure up front before going on to the next stage.