Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Software packaging /Release Managment effects on testing

Does anyone have any experience with establishing "release Management", ie , the packagaing and deployment of software defects through system test environments, and migrating to "model office" user test environments, and ultimatley production environments?

The reason I am asking is that I am a systems testing manager within the healthcare industry. The software that my team tests is basically financial applications that deal with the payment of insurance claims, and the extracting and interfacing of financial payment data to internal and external interfaces. (Just to give you some background). My testers constantly find themselves "dead in the water" due to deployment issues (wrong versions of code pulled, shell scripts and sql scripts out of synch, etc). The company I work for is large and laborious, and the turnaround time for fixes for these incorrect deployments to system test environments can sometimes be 3-4 days, often followed by yet another improper deployment.

Not to mention, that it causes a lot of friction between test teams , development teams , and the release amangemtn teams. I have worked hard to maintain good relationships with these groups (we need them, they need us), but the relationships are breaking down as this situation is getting worse, not better , as we have deployed the same platform now to two large regions within the company, and will be bringing on a third.

I am working an issue where it has taken 2 weeks to be able to execute the newly developed code for the first time, which has severely cut into our testing timelines. Due to these environment/deployment issues, I am constantly ranting and raving about the fact that my testers can never get to the proper "depth of testing' that they need to. We are constantly spinning our wheels, and often spend a lot of our time "Validating" newly built end user environments (validating = making sure they put all the defects we found and fixed months ago togther correctly in user environments - no new tests , all high-level regerssion just to make sure the code is there) My management is well aware of the problem, and are working with release project managers, and functional area PM's (I used to be a IT PM so I do have a frame of reference) who don't understand the need for concise, structured release planning, and sticking to due dates and deadlines when gathering requirements, etc, etc .
    Anyway, if anyone has any information on how to setup and structure some solid release planning processes, I would love to review and forward to our PM's.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software packaging /Release Managment effects on testing

My testers constantly find themselves "dead in the water" due to deployment issues (wrong versions of code pulled, shell scripts and sql scripts out of synch, etc).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">It seems there is no proper Configuration Management . put this is place it will help you out....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Software packaging /Release Managment effects on testing

You do need CM and a team to make it stick. Sounds like a power struggle.