Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality Practices in Agile Environments.

Ok, I am a newbie....so there might be a chance I have posted this in the wrong forum.
    Please guide me.

The topic I want for discussion is that we have specific quality practices defined in different software development models. You know, like we have different quality practices for Waterfall model, for Spiral model and so on (Correct me if I am wrong).
    I was interested in working on the quality processes/practices followed in Agile environments e.g. xProgramming or UP. Do they follow the similar practices? and if no, then how do they actually differ.

Similarly, can CMM/ISO/or other Quality models be implemented in Agile Environments?

There are lots of shortcomings in my SQA concepts as I just started learning it. So please correct me where I am wrong.

Thanx
    nEEbz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Quality Practices in Agile Environments.

Here's a good place to get started: http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstal...highsmith.html

I hope you get your answers as I am interested in Agile also. It would seem that it would not fit into a CMM profile, but I may be wrong.

Rich
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well... as per my perception Quality practices dont differ or depend upon the type of life cycle you are adapting for software development. It may be the framework's requirements that vary. Almost every quality framework requires that you leave a proof of what you are doing. You might have noticed that most of the practices of different quality frameworks remain same just the way they address those issues is different. CMM or its variants do support Agile methods. As far as ISO is concerned, take it this way. First define what agile method you have to adapt, how are you going to adapt it and what are your expectations out of it. Now document it and follow it, have some proof that you are following it and ISO will have no objections. Regarding ISO specific requirements that do not come under the umbrella of a software develpment life cycle, yes you have to do some extra effort for example quality handbook etc.

This is my perception after dealing with similar quality frameworks and models. Please correct me if you feel i am wrong...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by neebz:
    Ok, I am a newbie....so there might be a chance I have posted this in the wrong forum.
    Please guide me.

The topic I want for discussion is that we have specific quality practices defined in different software development models. You know, like we have different quality practices for Waterfall model, for Spiral model and so on (Correct me if I am wrong).
    I was interested in working on the quality processes/practices followed in Agile environments e.g. xProgramming or UP. Do they follow the similar practices? and if no, then how do they actually differ.

Similarly, can CMM/ISO/or other Quality models be implemented in Agile Environments?

There are lots of shortcomings in my SQA concepts as I just started learning it. So please correct me where I am wrong.

Thanx
    nEEbz
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">HTH
    http://www.brightwork.com/files/MSFa...uritymodel.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

BiziB,
    nice find, this looks a really good paper, I've been looking for something like this for ages, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    As for quality frameworks - i believe all methods and approaches can be made to fit these frameworks I am just not sure of the value in it.

I come from a very structured background and now manily work within agile, RUP and XP style projects using a variety of methodologies. I recently was looking at TPI in agile and believe there is some possiblity of mapping there, I need to get back in contact with the relevant group at Sogotti on this at some stage.

The ideas of requirements mangement and measuring, repeatability of process are definately there in the agile schools its just we use different names and different form factors.

The biggest vhallange to the CMM style frameworks seem to be the form factors and the re-use element, i do not believe agile and cmm are mutually exclusive - its just most agile shops i know are not keen on that type and level of codification - it's seen as old school dude [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by neill_mccarthy:
    BiziB,
    nice find, this looks a really good paper, I've been looking for something like this for ages, thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    As for quality frameworks - i believe all methods and approaches can be made to fit these frameworks I am just not sure of the value in it.

I come from a very structured background and now manily work within agile, RUP and XP style projects using a variety of methodologies. I recently was looking at TPI in agile and believe there is some possiblity of mapping there, I need to get back in contact with the relevant group at Sogotti on this at some stage.

The ideas of requirements mangement and measuring, repeatability of process are definately there in the agile schools its just we use different names and different form factors.

The biggest vhallange to the CMM style frameworks seem to be the form factors and the re-use element, i do not believe agile and cmm are mutually exclusive - its just most agile shops i know are not keen on that type and level of codification - it's seen as old school dude [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">neill_mccarthy,
    I also have a similar thought on having CMM/CMMI existing mutually with some agile method. But as far as process improvement is concerned i think moving on to one or the other method , the mapping or corelation provides a good ground. How you proceed with it comes next. But you are right having them co-existing is tough .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

All,
    I knew i had seen a similiar discussion elsewhere:

http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/xp_and_cmm.htm

Ron Jeffries posted this back in 2000 (heck we are behind the wave here) where he compared some of the practices used in XP to CMM.

I will do some more digging and see what I can find on the other agile methods - if Ron Jefferies has done something like this on XP then I am sure others will have for different agile approaches.
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here's a paper I found from an SEI member who compared XP and CMM practices.

http://search.globalspec.com/goto/PD...%2DPaulk%2Epdf