Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Process Improvement or Process Management ?

Hi all,

Don't you think that "Process Management" will be a better name of this forum ?
    In fact the topics covered by this forum covers more aspects than process improvement.
    If I remember corectly, under process management we can find:

- process definition (or formalization)
    - process measurement
    - process analyzis
    - process improvement
    - process control (or maintenance)

I saw a lot of posts regarding process definition. Not everybody has a formal process in place, which should be improved.

Another big difference, which I've noticed, is the continuity of process management, compared with process improvement, which is more a one time event.

Playing the devil's advocate , I could say that setting up some (sub)processes could be seen as an improvement of the big picture, the software process.

Now, I could ask (and I do ) where process engineering should be addressed: in this forum or in the Quality methodologies forum ?

Finally, I have to admit that I'm somehow disapointed that this forum is ... neglected (I did't found a better word), even if in some topics it's obvious that are addessed (or caude by) process problems.

Am I wrong ? :confused that is NOT a rhetorical question)

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Process Improvement or Process Management ?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daniel_S:
    Don't you think that "Process Management" will be a better name of this forum ?
    In fact the topics covered by this forum covers more aspects than process improvement.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is true in the sense that this forum is covering more than just strict improvement but, then again, it depends on how one defines "improvement". One of the general aspects of process relative to organizations lies in the ability of the organization to learn how to manage the processes that they may have engineered (or re-engineered, if one does things like methodology engineering). With this it also is important to manage the processes that involve knowledge, which speaks to knowledge management as well because that is part of managing any process.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Another big difference, which I've noticed, is the continuity of process management, compared with process improvement, which is more a one time event.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, process improvement is by no means a one-time event. In fact, improvement should be fostered as something that is always being sought because there are generally always ways to improve because people change, technologies change, markets change, etc. That is where managing the act of process improvement comes into play. In fact, you can have process improvement without strict process management.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Now, I could ask (and I do ) where process engineering should be addressed: in this forum or in the Quality methodologies forum ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a good question and the distinction is rather fine in terms of how we have done this. (I admit I am guilty of this since I put in my two cents to AJ regarding the naming of the forums.) I am not sure I have a ready answer for you yet, particularly because I am one that speaks to methodology engineering (which would seem to go under "QA Methodologies") and I speak to problem-focused process development (which would seem to go in this forum). Yet, methodology engineering can certainly speak to process improvement - because a methodology will be guided (usually) by a series of processes.

I can tell you that the idea was to allow a forum to discuss specific things that people refer to or call "methodologies" such as XP, RUP, ISO, etc. Part of the problem is that some of those are not always "methodologies" in someone's strict sense. (Again, I take a lot of the blame for this and it is even worse because I am advocate of trying to make sure people use the terms correctly.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Am I wrong ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion, you are right insofar as drawing a distinction between QA Methodologies and what we are currently calling Software Process Improvement. I am not so sure I agree with changing the forum to be called Process Management only because, like I said, you can have process improvement and not have strict process management. Also, many people seem to deal more with the improvement side than being charged with the strict management side.

The middle ground might be taking out the word "Software" and calling the forum "Process Improvement and Process Management". What do you think?

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Process Improvement or Process Management ?

Jeff,

First about Process Improvement.

I meant that Process Improvement is often/sometimes seen as one time event. The control and measurements of the process is not always perceived as a part of process improvement. If the process measurement and analysys is seen as a prerequisite for a process improvement, the continuity of the process is not always implied.
    For example, in Business Process Reengineering, which was used by several companies, process improvement was seen as a one time even, were a dramatical change was made to a process, in oposite with continuous process improvement, where the change was made is small incremental steps.

In my (not very long) experience, I've noticed that people who are not familiar with these concepts, don't understand that continuous process monitoring, control, measurements and analyze are part of process improvement. That's mean that costs and resources to do these activities are ignored.
    I,ve also seen initiatives of "process improvement" without previously measuring and analyzing the process.

About forum's name
    I don't think that we have to change forums' names very often, IF everybody understands what every forum was intended for. I think is counterproductive to change forums' names, because, in time, its become familiar to forums users.
    BUT, if we could do something for those forums which are rarely used, even if a lot of topics under "General Discussions" would fit that forum, I think will be good for the forums.

Just a thought
    Reading more topics from "General Discussions" I suppose that a lot of those could fit in a "Testing Process" forum, or someting like this.
    Topics about test plan/test cases/test scripts, definitions, templates,roles and responsibilities ... could be good examples

------------------
    If you need a reason to be happy - FIND IT, don't wait it !

[This message has been edited by Daniel_S (edited 08-16-2002).]
    Don't worry, be Happy!